Fiber Monday - We have color

Being knee deep in school planning means that there was very little fiber related things happening here this past week. I did finally gather the tools I needed to start dyeing and the dye I ordered arrived, so I took some time to mix up a few dye stocks. I felt like a mad scientist with mask, protective eye wear, and gloves weighing out dye powder and measuring liquid. No, I didn't get a photo. Sorry. 

With the dye stock made, I wanted to try drying one of the fleeces I have. I chose the one that was the least nice. It has a lot of vegetable matter in it and is going to be a pain to card into something spinnable. If I did something horrible to it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Dyeing was also the perfect thing to do while I was planning because it involves a lot of waiting. I would put a part of the fleece to soak in water and go back to the books. Then I would get the dye pot ready and go back to the books. I would check on the process and either go back to the books or turn off the heat depending on what it looked like. Then it just had to cool, so I went back to the books. You get the idea. 

I did manage to get the whole fleece dyed. The first section turned out much lighter than I was expecting.


The next day I weighed the next section. It weighed much more than the previous day's did and I realized that I had made an error in weighing which meant I put far less dye stock in the pot than I needed. I remedied that for this section. There is a lot more color in this one. (You can also see the vegetable matter I was referring to. This is going to be no fun to deal with.)


With the third section I had the idea to try to get it a color somewhere in between the first two, thinking I would create a gradient yarn with it. You can't really tell from the photo (I was trying to take a picture while the fleece was hanging in my fleece drying set-up), but it is a little bit lighter, though not as much as I had hoped.


While there is quite a bit of science and math involved in the process, there also seems to be a bit of art as well... and some experience with how things turn out. There is a reason why dyers tend to refer to it as their dye practice

It is a lot of fun to discover what the color looks like when you take it out of the dye pot. I am kind of itching to dye the other fleeces I have. I have twelve colors to play with and those can be mixed to make more colors. It will be a fun experiment.

I did do a little spinning this week as well. I am very close to finishing the spinning on this wool/silk mixture that I've been working on. I think I should have it all done by next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach