Fiber Monday - Angst spinning

I don't know about you, but I could use some far less serious and concerning things to think about right now, so it's good it's Monday. All of the serious and concerning things I don't want to have to think about could also be an explanation as to why I have so much spinning to show you this week. I find spinning to be incredibly calming, and you get cool yarn out of it to boot. 

So let's start with the show and tell.

First, the sock yarn I showed you last week. Nothing has changed except that I wound it into a skein in order to wash. Oh, and there is one teeny tiny skein you can see on the bottom. I had two bobbins with a little bit more yarn on them than the third, so couldn't use them to make a 3-ply. So, I decided to learn how to chain ply which is where you take a single yarn and then using loops and things turn that single into a 3-ply. It has been on my list of things to figure out, so that felt like a success this week. 


Next I finished spinning two huge bats that I had made then had started spinning one of them only to leave it sitting on the studio table for a while. I have now started to ply them together.


Then, in between all of this, I started a new spinning project. Because it makes sense to start a new one when you still have at least two unfinished projects on the table, right? 


So this is one of the dyed fiber that I bought in Arizona when I was there this past spring. This is hand-dyed Jacob sheep. I have wanted to branch out on what types of wool I spin, so this was the biggest reason I bought it. I'm not sure I'm a fan. It is a lot rougher than what I am used to spinning. We'll see how it eventually turns out. Here is a closer look at how it is looking on the bobbin. It looks kind of pretty. I'm not sure I'm sold yet.


Finally, because I don't have enough raw materials and potential projects, a (somewhat) local spinning store was having a big sale. So I went. My reasoning was that I might be able to find some supplies for the spinning and knitting classes I'm teaching in the fall. And I did! I found a really good deal on wool yarn and I bought a bag of process roving that will be great for the class to use. But, I might have come home with a few more things as well. I can't help myself, it seems, when faced with craft supplies. (I believe I have written about this little quirk of mine before.)

Look at what one of those things was!


It's a handy little carry bag with a nice case inside to carry spindles. I have been wanting something to carry a spindle for a while, so this was exciting. But wait, there's more! It also came with this lovely spindle.


It's hard to see what it looks like. Here's a better picture. Isn't it lovely? 


I wasn't sure how it would spin since it was so skinny and light, but it actually spins extremely well. I like to spin finer yarn rather than thicker yarn, and I think this is going to do that very well. You can see how much smaller it is than my other top whorl spindle. 


Now, with a handy case and a nice spindle, I could actually take spinning projects out with me instead of just knitting ones. We'll see if I actually do it. Knitting in public already causes a lot of comment. I'll have to be in the right frame of mind to spin in public and navigate the inevitable comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach