Can we talk about St. John Rivers?

It's been a week, and considering it's only Tuesday, that tells you something. Our co-op's end of the year program is this Friday, so I've been spending what seems like every waking hour getting ready for it. Much of that time has been spent editing creative writing papers. My students are all excellent writers, but even so, editing together is a slow process. I think I'm done with that. Next up is getting the table presentations ready. It truly feels as though I haven't really stopped since last Thursday at co-op. This is definitely not my preferred mode of existence! I'm feeling the need to watch stupid television instead of reading before bed, which probably tells you all you need to know about my current amount of margin.

But even in the rare crazy week, we still have teatime. I think it helps everyone to have at least one definite time in the day where everyone pauses together for a bit. We are one chapter away from finishing the book. Today Jane discovered that Thornfield Hall has burnt down, and Mr. Rochester is now blind and disabled. Tomorrow, Jane will get in a carriage and go to him. But before we reach the happy ending, can we just pause and talk about St. John Rivers?

Oh. My. Goodness.

The chapter we read yesterday had more sputtering from me than I can remember doing when reading a book. I know I have read Jane Eyre before (thank you reading list), but I'm finding that I remember very little. What I find baffling is that I remember nothing about St. John Rivers. Maybe I have blocked him out of my memory. Charlotte Bronte has written a perfect example of an emotional abuser. It's absolutely classic. As I began the chapter, and was sputtering, L. took advantage of the moment to chime in with, "Just watch. He's going to tell Jane she's being sinful by not going with him." Later in the chapter, there was a brief pause as we acknowledged L.'s prediction coming true. 

The chapter did allow me to point out what to look out for in a partner. It was the silent punishment bit followed by St. John's assertion to Jane that it was her fault that he was angry and not treating her well that served as an excellent negative example. St. John asserted that if Jane would just have done what he — and by extension, God — had told her to do, then St. John would never have had cause to get angry. His bad behavior was clearly all Jane's fault. We had a brief conversation about how each person is responsible for their own behavior. Never buy the line that someone caused bad behavior in someone else, particularly a partner. 

It was very difficult not to sputter every time Jane reminded us of how good St. John was. Blech. There were a lot of descriptive words that leaped to mind to describe St. John Rivers, but good was certainly not among them. Nor was humble, which was another favorite descriptor used by Jane. 

I have found Jane to be rather clearheaded about most things throughout the book, but I am utterly baffled by her willingness to submit herself to St. John. I'd like to have a little chat with Charlotte about that point. 

It has been interesting to read Jane Eyre to everyone. It has certainly been the cause of multiple discussions. It's particularly enjoyable to read a classic to people who have no idea what is coming next. On Thursday, we begin The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde which I am very excited about. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach