Notes on reading Jane Eyre

Thursdays do me in. It is our co-op day and not only are we gone for much of the day, we have to get going earlier than we usually do and I teach three classes. By the time we get home, it is pretty much time to make tea and have teatime. I am not good for much else past that. 

I thought I would update you on how Jane Eyre is going. That is the book that we are reading at teatime, remember. I'm happy to report that everyone is pretty engaged with the book. Y. in particular loves it, and since Anne of Green Gables is her all-time favorite book (a girl after my own heart), I'm not surprised by this. L. and G. are eagerly anticipating getting to the mad woman in the attic, which we had some foreshadowing of today. I'm realizing that I actually remember very little from the last time I read it. Since the last time I read it was well over thirty years ago, I probably shouldn't be surprised by this. I had totally forgotten about how dire Jane's early childhood was, and can now see what a pointed condemnation of "Christians" who acted like Mr. Brocklehurst Charlotte Bronte wrote. 

Like all good books, it has prompted some interesting discussions. After one chapter where Jane is pretty brutally emotionally abused, a child commented that it annoyed her when people didn't stand up for themselves. Another child replied that it wasn't always possible to stand up for yourself. Discussion ensued. Good books cause the reader to wrestle with bigger ideas and issues. 

We also contrasted Jane Eyre with the Incorrigibles series we just finished. Everyone agrees that the author of the Incorrigibles seemed to have been influenced by Jane Eyre, but she created the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females as a complete antithesis to Lowood. There are so many similarities, upside down similarities that is, between the two. 

I think we are about a quarter of the way through at this point and I'm counting it as a teatime win. A good story followed by good discussion is always positive. I'm also going to continue to push the idea that children are able to comprehend so much more than we often give them credit for. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach