Fiber Monday - What I came home with

I'm back home, and boy, I am tired after getting to the airport around 4:30 am. I had a lovely time visiting my mom, reading in the sun, having lunch with friends I've known since first grade or longer, warming up, and eating a lot of good food. Oh, and I judged a lot of pianists. In with all that there was a trip to a fiber store. So tonight's post will be short, and I'll stick with showing you what ended up being crammed in my suitcase.

First I want to show you this.


You may remember this quite from a few years ago when I took that quilting class. The top was finished, but I knew I didn't want to quilt it, so there it sat. When a family friend decided to start a quilt finishing business with her long arm quilter, I jumped at sending the quilt top to her to be finished. 

She brought it over while I was there. She did a phenomenal job. (She also did the binding for me. Hooray! I hate binding.) You can see a bit of the quilting in the photo below. Do you see the music notes she used? 


I love it and am so glad to have it finished and home. (I somehow managed to squeeze it into my suitcase.) Here it is on the back of my reading chair, all ready to snuggle up in while I read.


If anyone has quilts they need finished, contact me and I'll pass on her information. I highly recommend her. (When she gets a website up and running, I'll share it.)

Not only did I get a large quilt squeezed into my little carry-on suitcase, I also squeezed in all of this.


Doesn't that make you excited to look at? We found the greatest yarn and fiber store in Tempe. What was the most fun was that they had a lot of fiber from a really wide variety of sheep. Those two braids on the right are a combination of polworth (a type of sheep) and silk. I love the colors and cannot wait to spin them. I think I'll ply the two colors together. Wouldn't that make an amazing yarn? The two bags on the left are from Jacob sheep. Jacob sheep are a threatened breed which can have anywhere from two to six horns. One is undyed, and I want to try dying it before I spin it this summer; the other is dyed, but it will be a surprise what it looks like inside. I also earned a sticker for my Shave 'Em to Save 'Em passport, so that's cool. 

What I'm not showing you is the box that arrived the morning before I left last week. Yes, I ordered one more raw fleece. (I may need an intervention, I don't know.) But I'll open that up this week and see what it looks like. The photos and description were pretty amazing, which is why I bought it. Do you think I have enough fiber to get me through to the next shearing season next spring? 

And with that, I'm going to head to bed and read the book I started on the plane until my eyes can't stay open. 

Did I mention it is cold here? Bah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach