The world is too much with us... so let's talk about books instead

I had planned a very different post for today concerning some of the news coming out of Texas, but I find I cannot write it this evening. The world feels heavy and I need a brief respite by writing about something lighter. That I have the privilege to choose to turn off disturbing events is not lost on me. 

Today we finished reading the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series. As when all good series come to an end, it feels bittersweet. We loved these books and the characters in them. They are funny and intelligent and well-written. I don't buy many books these days unless it is a non-fiction book that I can't find but feel I need to read. (All that ongoing personal research, you know.) Fiction? I rarely buy. When I do purchase a book of fiction it is inevitably one I have already read and want to own. There are few books which fall into this category, but this series is going to make the list. I know people are going to want to reread them on their own. It feels like one of those series that just belong in every library. So, over the next few months I will accumulate the six books which comprise the series. I'm not sure how much more strongly I can urge you to read these books to your children... or just read them to yourselves. (Though watching your children laugh out loud as you read is really a significant part of the fun.) 

The trouble with finishing a book, particularly one that you loved, is that you then need to find the book you will read next. This can be difficult because unless it is well-chosen, the next book read can always feel like a bit of a let down. As we were getting towards the end of the book, people started to ask me what we were going to read next. My initial thought was to pick up one of the books set in Ancient Rome that was on my school plan. I have read all of them at least once and frankly, I was not overly excited by the prospect. I knew they were going to feel dreary after the Incorrigibles and I wasn't looking forward to reading any of them out loud. What to do?

In the car coming home from co-op today, G. made the comment that she wished she could jump into books. I immediately though of the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde, where jumping into books is a significant part of the plot. (I adore these books, by the way, and am always recommending them to people.) I mentioned that the people in the van should read them, but they had to read Jane Eyre first to fully appreciate the first book in the series, The Eyre Affair. L. asked what Jane Eyre was about, so I told her it had a governess, which was a nice segue from the Incorrigibles and it had a crazy lady who was locked in an attic and a big house fire. At the mention of these last two things, G. and L. were intrigued. It was then I entertained the idea of reading Jane Eyre out loud. In full disclosure, this is a purely self-serving idea because then I could read the Thursday Next books to them which would be highly entertaining. That clinched it. We are going to start Jane Eyre tomorrow at teatime.

Over the past year, the majority of the books we have enjoyed the most together have been books written for an adult audience. We have read so many books together over the years that language-wise this is what fits. My children are all pretty precocious listeners. They have heard a lot of written language read out loud to them over the years. Consequently, their grasp of complex sentences and story lines as well as a significantly large vocabulary means that books aimed at their grade level (6th for G. and L.) often don't cut it, particularly if they are listening. Of course they still enjoy reading YA books on their own, but teatime has become a time where we read books which aim a little higher. When I suggest parents spend significant time reading to their children I do so because I know what results.

All that said, I am curious to see how Jane Eyre goes over with them. I'm sure I will be sharing our progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach