What to write?

Well, let's see... I could talk about the weather. How it's just been terribly cold for what seems like years, and tonight we're supposed to have our coldest night yet. According to the weather report, it will be a balmy -13 degrees when I go out to feed the horses in the morning. (Don't worry, they are all tucked up in the barn with their blankets on and all the doors closed, along with plenty of hay. They're going to be fine.) But, that seems too depressing to contemplate, so let's not talk about that.

Or, I could talk about all the paperwork I am still avoiding doing.... guardianship things, horse things, and pretty soon we will be heading into tax things. But I think I've completed the paperwork for too many adoptions because paperwork fills with me dread and anxiety these days. Let's not talk about that, either.

I could tell you more about what projects I plan to make in the fiber realm, but I'm trying to keep that to Mondays, so that's out. 

There's always school-related subjects... how we've be reading about the fall of Rome and people are excited to begin the Middle Ages next year; how K. is building famous buildings from around the world in Minecraft which means he has spent hours pouring over books of architecture and atlases. Or, school related and how I am constantly baffled how people are willing to continue with an educational choice which is psychologically damaging their child(ren). That feels a little touchy, so best not go there right now.

Did I mention we're having some really cold weather? I'm pretty sure those of us who live in this part of the Midwest have ceased to be able to talk about anything else other than how cold we are. 

I could talk about my hay bill. Let's not talk about my hay bill.

I guess that leaves books. We are on the next-to-last Incorrigables book. I"ll leave you with a quote from the chapter we read today.

"The walk back to the hotel was a quiet and pensive one, for all of them. Each head was full of new thoughts and new ideas, and none of the intrepid museumgoers ... saw the world in quite the same way as they had before.

This is the whole purpose of museums, of course. One does not go merely to collect facts and souvenirs and picture postcards, but to enlarge one's notion of all that has been, and all that is, and all that might be. In this way we begin to understand what part each of us was born to play in the marvelous task of existence. Put another way: We enter museums to look at the exhibits, but when we come out, it is ourselves we see more clearly. (Remember this the next time some well-intended adult suggests you spend a rainy afternoon reorganizing your sock drawer. 'No!' you must loudly protest. 'I wish to go to the mew-eezum [this makes sense in the context of the story], and enlarge my sense of life's possibilities.' Remarkable adventures have blossomed from just such a request!" -from The Unmapped  Sea by Maryrose Wood (pp. 199-200)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach