The week in pictures

Yesterday, I visited a local arts school because I saw that they had a shop that sold weaving supplies. Since it was significantly closer than the only other store I know about, it seemed worth a trek. Fine Line Creative Arts Center is very cool. I can't believe I'm only now checking it out. Along with my yarn, I also brought home the list of classes being offered this semester. One of them was a two-day intensive learning to weave class which takes you through the entire process of learning to weave on a floor loom. I briefly though to myself that it was be great to be able to take it, but after glancing at the dates, thought that I had missed the first class. When another child was flipping through it while sitting next to me, I realized that I hadn't missed the first class, that it started the next day. So I called to see if I could still sign up, which I could, so I did. It was great fun spending the entire day weaving and learning new things. I feel pretty confident that I can now warp the floor loom I bought last month. I'm looking forward to the next class.

All of this is to say, you get pictures tonight.

We now have a house cell phone so that we can leave the not so little younger people home alone and they still have a way to contact us. This also means there is now a house phone camera, the pictures from which are shared with us. Y. took this picture of Nefertiti being very squooshy.


Earlier this week, I took a walk through the forest preserve, deciding that if I was waiting for it to get warmer than 18 degrees to take a walk, I would probably be waiting until March. Once I was moving, it wasn't really that bad. I was particularly struck by the fungi (or lichens or what?) that I saw.





I love it when I see this happening for hours at a time. (This is L.)


Remember when I mentioned letting the globes dry on the table by the window yesterday? Well, that window gets a lot of sun, and it was a sunny day. As we learned in chemistry last year, heated gas expands. This means that when the air in the balloon inside the papier-mache is warmed by the sun, it expands also. Papier-mache, evidently, does not expand. There will need to be some repair work done on the globes before they are painted.


And a little peek at what I was working on today. I'm not entirely sure I'm in love with the colors (though they look very different from the photo in person), but I'm learning a lot. We'll see how it turns out. 



Comments

Unknown said…
E!
That fungus is 木耳 (mu er or as wiffy says mook yi). Its a common ingredient in soups, congee, lots of Chinese dishes.
I don't recommend harvesting- cause thats just scary. Follow directions carefully if you buy some dried ones. It has a nice texture.

Y is an artist as well as a scientist it seems..wow

Warmly
Colin
Unknown said…
I am Incorrect!
Its a little similar to mu er but is a different mushroom.
I have been calling it that incorrectly.

Warmly
Colin

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach