Preposition activity box

Years ago, I made a preposition activity box for H. because she really struggled with what various prepositions meant. I figured if she could physically manipulate something so that she could see what was happening, prepositions would make more sense. For the most part, I was correct and her understanding of prepositions greatly increased. (First and last are still a bit baffling, but as she reads more and has more experience tracking, they are making more sense.) It occurred to me I could get out the activity box which had been languishing on a shelf to help my preposition averse group identify them more easily. (Really, there was no ability issue on anyone's part. This has been far more of an interest issue, and I'm rather tired of it.) So I presented the box to them this morning. 

It's a pretty simple concept. There is a plastic tapir, some blocks, and some laminated cards each with a different preposition. (It used to be a plastic baby elephant, but he was wanted to play with so we now have a tapir who doesn't seem to be quite so popular play-wise. Poor tapir.)




I made my reluctant audience sit while we went through every single card, moving the tapir accordingly. There was much grousing. I told them that from the noise I was hearing when we had to work on prepositions that I was afraid they didn't understand them, so I was doing my part to be sure they understood how to identify prepositions. I would be surprised if anyone grouses about prepositions after this. Mission accomplished. The tapir will now have to go back to his life in an unused activity box on the shelf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach