A really good deal

When I'm giving my presentation about meal planning, I encourage people to have a well-stocked pantry and freezer for those times when life gets in the way. If one is stocking up on things, it is always a good thing to try to do that stocking up when things are on sale. If you begin to pay attention to how much you pay for things, you begin to develop an idea of what a good deal is. For instance, my stock up price for meat is $0.99/lb. This is an exceptionally good price for meat at the moment and one I don't see nearly as often as I used to. I always go through the sales flyers for the local grocery stores each week just to see if there are any really good sales going on. (I do this for produce as well. A couple of years ago, a store had cantaloupes on sale for $0.79/each. This is a crazy good price for melon, so I bought a bunch, cut it up, and froze it. It was a nice treat to have in the middle of winter. I've also done the same with pineapple, except that I turned into pints and pints of pineapple jam and canned pineapple. We're still working our way through the jam.) 

Anyway, I noticed that this week a local store was selling pork loins for $0.99/lb. J. needed to go pick up something, so I had him look for those pork loins and buy two, since that was what the stated limit was. He got to the store and there weren't any left, so asked the butcher who said he could cut a couple for him. Now, I have no doubt that what was in the case were small, 2-3 pound pork loins, so I was expecting we would have two roasts to put in the freezer for some future use. Instead, the butcher cut two entire pork loins and wrapped them up. There were indeed two packages, thus satisfying the store limit, but my goodness, we got an extremely good deal. Here is the tag from one of them.


Yes, we managed to get $100 worth of meat for just over $30. This doesn't happen every day. Heck, this doesn't happen even once a year. It was a satisfying bit of stocking up. 

Here's what it looked like after I got it separated into single amounts. (The butcher had already done the cutting.)


That's six roasts and two packages of six pork chops each. I had just enough space in the freezer for it. 

Comments

Mommy O'D said…
Amazingness

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach