New spinning project

Today I do get to share my latest spinning project with you because I was able to finish plying it this afternoon. I bought this wool about two years ago. It sat for a while, then I started spinning it, then W. gave me some other wool that I wanted to spin more, so I worked on that. I love it and it's nice to have it done. I actually changed plans. I had at first thought I would make a 3-ply yarn, so still have quite a bit of wool left. I don't know what I was thinking because the wheel I was using isn't really set-up for doing a 3-ply yarn. Since I have other spinning projects in mind, I decided to stop with two. Here is the final product.


One of the things which fascinates me about spinning is seeing what the yarn looks like when it's all done. You really can't tell until you have it in a skein at the very end to see what you have. You can have a general sense in the middle of a project, but not completely. To give you sense of that, I took some pictures. Here is the wool top that I have been using. This is what was going to be the third single in the initially planned 3-ply.


Then here is is all plied and on the niddy-noddy (yes, that's really the name of this thing.) It's still a little difficult to really see the finished yarn.


And here is the unspun wool top next to the finished skein.


I actually ended up with two skeins I had spun so much. It's interesting to me how they are each just the slightest different tone based on where the color was at any given moment.


I'm pretty pleased with it. This is actually a pretty thin yarn.... maybe a fingering weight? I haven't done the wraps per inch, to know exactly. When I first started spinning, I was overly concerned with making thin yarn, probably because it felt as though it was an unreachable goal. I think I've gone a little too far in the direction. My next project is going to be trying to spin a thicker, fluffier yarn. It might actually be a challenge because my default yarn seems to be very thin. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach