Fallingwater

K., who spends a significant portion of every day looking at photos and recreating those photos in Legos, ventured out of his Star Wars obsession for a bit today. At one point, as I was continuing to cross things off my to-do list, he comes in to show me this.



Any guesses as to what it is? He had been looking at his book of Lego architectural buildings if that helps.

Nope?

How about this.


See the overhang above the river on his building? Yes, it's Fallingwater, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. I think he did a pretty good job since he didn't have any of the specialized bricks that this version takes.


Fallingwater happens to come up in conversation more frequently around here than you would think. It was one of the buildings we learned about last spring, and it really struck everyone's fancy. At some point we'll have to figure out how to take everyone there so they can see it in person. 

And because I was actually gearing up to write an education-type post tonight before I was waylaid by K. (who specifically asked me to share his building on the blog tonight), I'll limit myself to just this one thing. You wouldn't think that modern architecture would be a subject that middle school students would be interested in. It is certainly not really one in the middle school standard curriculum. But yet, my children loved it and all the buildings we looked at. Sometimes our views of what is appropriate is so limiting. Instead of giving children the world, we decide what is "important", dull it down, and then wonder why our children are filled with such ennui about life. Instead of fostering and nurturing a child's natural curiosity, we are squandering it and killing it with our insistence on standardization. 

You should probably all thank K. for the change of blog content tonight, because clearly I am in a mood.

Comments

Leslie said…
When I saw your title I briefly wondered what you wrote about, but as soon as I saw the first picture I knew exactly what K had created. He did a fabulous job.

My best friend in high school knew from before we met that he wanted to be an architect. He was pretty obsessed with that house all through high school. He took the ten year route through college, but he is now an architect.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach