Children who make things

Now that it's August, everyone seems to have found their summer rhythm. There has been much game playing, book reading, bicycle riding, cooking, taking out dogs, painting, drawing, and making. At least once or twice a day, I am asked by a child to put a book on hold for them at the library. (We currently have well over 100 books checked out at the moment. Have I mentioned how much I adore the fact that this library doesn't have a book limit?) Every so often someone will wander through the house mentioning that they are bored, but I express sympathy, go back to what I was doing, and they sort it out. It's all rather lovely, especially since every so often someone will wander into the kitchen and either unload or load the dishwasher. I adore that, too.

K. has been especially productive over the past couple of days making things (more things, more Star Wars things) with cardboard. Here are his latest creations.

K. made two helmets, this is the first one. I have no idea what kind of soldier this helmet belongs to, though I'm sure K. told me.


This is the second helmet. No, I don't know what this one is, either. I particularly like the painting he did on it.


This is a little droid. It is a D-0 droid. (K. told me and I remembered this.) I love how he can stand on his round wheel.

D-0 from the front.

This is an R-2 droid. I know R-2 because it is from one of the few Star Wars movies I've seen.

R-2 from the side. 

Saturday, G. spent the afternoon making a name sign for Flavia's new house.

Here it is... all hung up.

And a closer view. I love how she made the vine going around it. This was totally her idea and design. 






Comments

Unknown said…
This is such a treat! You’ve got a visionary artist in residence! That is one of the very best things about kids: seeing what they come up with out of their imaginations. Kiddos with a unique history (and less mindless screen time) have powerful imaginations. We are going to need that!

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach