Besties

Today was near fifty and sunny. It was beautiful! I was able to be out in just a sweatshirt and jeans. It was so wonderful to feel warm sun shining on me. So, I made use of the day by shoveling horse poop nearly the entire day. The dry lots are looking significantly better. 

While I was out I realized that the three horses spent a lot of time just standing at the fence line, Emmy on one side, Bristol and Java on the other. They were hanging their heads over the fence and just being together. Now, at this point I should back up and say why they were in different pastures. When we got Emmy, she had been boarding with our vet. Emmy was not a team player and our vet spent too much time stitching up horses from too many fights that Emmy was a part of. This had been a long-standing problem and one we had been warned about. Emmy just didn't like other horses. Not wanting to need vet visits any more than necessary, we made sure to give them each their space. This worked well for the first year or so. They were aware of each other, but they also didn't spend a lot of time communing over the fence. I started noticing this just this winter. 

Today, watching the three of them standing in the shade together, not enjoying the sun, I decided to open the gate and give it a try. At the worst, I'd have to separate them again and crossed my fingers that the worst wouldn't involve stitches.

So I opened the gate.


At first all three horses just stood there and looked at it. Then Bristol and Java took some tentative steps into Emmy's pasture. The three horses approached each other and then they all exploded... in a good way. The three of them start running around both pastures together, tails and heads up. They would race across, come to a skidding stop, turn around, and race to the other side. They would all come racing towards me and then veer around me. Around and around and around they all raced together, taking turns leading the chase. I have never seen such a tangible expression of pure joy in my life. I wish I could've gotten a video of it, but didn't want to get out my phone and take a chance of missing any of it. You'll have to take my word for it that it was beautiful and made me cry watching them race together. 

Eventually, they settled down and started doing their usual horse-y things. At this point, I was still standing in the pasture, at first it was in case I needed to intervene (though frankly, what I thought I could have done if two 1000 pound horses decided they hated each other I don't know), but then just because it was so wonderful just to be in the same space with such great happiness and contentment. As I stood there and watched them, each horse, beginning with Emmy, came up to me separately and rubbed their head against me. It was as if they were each saying thank you. I know that's probably too anthropomorphic, but it's sure what it felt like. 






Bringing them for dinner was a little crazy as everything felt new and different. I think they were also a bit nervous that their playtime had ended and wouldn't happen again. We got them sorted out and all is calm in the barn. I cannot wait to turn them out again tomorrow and watch while they discover that this is their new normal. 

Part of me also regrets taking so long to do this. But being rather new to multiple horse ownership, I didn't want to jeopardize any of their health and well-being by making mistakes. When Java and Bristol first came home, I'm not sure introducing them to Emmy right away would have been successful. I'm also glad I was able to pay enough attention to their behavior and body language to realize that this is something that they wanted and needed. 

It made shoveling all that poop totally worth it. 

(I'll be shoveling more poop tomorrow if anyone wants to come and join me. It's a fantastic upper body work out and I'll throw in a ride once the ground dries out. I'd wear very old shoes.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach