Welcoming 2021 with a bang (this time a good thing)

Our family has some big news to share from today, but once again, I'm going to back up and share a bit about yesterday (New Year's Eve) first. 

New Year's Eve was both fun and rotten all at the same time. As I had anticipated, the fall-out from R.'s adventures with the dentist the previous day was significant. The entire day was spent with her having psychogenic seizures and some psychosis and me and J. tag-teaming each other to stay by her and keep her calm. We've learned that with support and work with mindfulness exercises, we can keep her in the present and hold the seizures and panic at bay. On a day like yesterday, though, she needs this support nearly continuously. She stayed up to welcome the New Year, but because she doesn't sleep in this state, she would have been up anyway. 

And we did celebrate New Year's Eve. Everyone was home and we ate and played games and laughed and toasted in the new year. I hadn't bought a new game for the family at Christmas, so decided a new game to play together on New Year's Eve would be fun. I found a game called Codenames and based on reviews decided to order it. It turned out to be a hit. I loved the fact that any number of people could play, including those who might not be able to play other complicated games. This is a very rare thing to find. Plus, it involves word play, which in our word-loving family is a huge plus. And to top it off, it is pretty inexpensive for a Euro-game. I recommend it.

The night was not good. R. had a very difficult time relaxing and both J. and I were up with her, though J. did the bulk of the nighttime duty. Today she is much better. She is still not happy about her mouth hurting or the soft diet we have her on, but she is not having seizures or panic attacks like yesterday. I am tentatively taking a deep breath that we have weathered the worst for now. (She does have that follow-up appointment next week and I anticipate it will be a couple of days of recovering after that as well.) 

Now, to get to the big news. This afternoon W. got married in a very small, very eloping sort of way. We knew about it, don't worry, but due to Covid and the political climate in the fall, they planned a simple ceremony now with a bigger celebration when people can safely gather again. 

Meet our new son-in-law, MK!



MK's dog

And the parents were all there... sort of. (This was in Dallas.)


We are so happy for them both. They are good for each other. There are still a lot of details to work out as W. is finishing school and MK is in negotiations with his employer (he's a graphic designer) about where he will be able to work. I'm afraid that long-distance will be the name of the game for a few months at least. I love seeing my child so happy and cared for. 

Before I hit publish, here's my notice that I wish I didn't have to write. As with other things, such as a pregnancy or an adoption, there is really only one thing that is appropriate to say in response and that is "Congratulations!" If you cannot do that, then scroll on by, because I will be monitoring comments pretty heavily and I am well-versed in the use of the delete button.

Comments

Molly said…
Adorable couple! Congratulations!

Molly (Josie's mom)
Leslie said…
So exciting! Another member of the family! Congratulations!

Also, so glad you found CodeNames! The Urban family is also big fans!


(And yes, I’m realizing every sentence ends in an exclamation mark here... oh well! Lots to be excited about!)
So Happy Elizabeth for you and your family!!! Congratulations to the boys love honor and care for each other is the secret to make Marriage work. Elizabeth you are my Hero for what you do each day. You are a blessing to God and your family!!! Thank you. Love to you all, Diane
Anonymous said…
Congratulations!! They look sooo happy! I wish them all the best and a marriage full of love, laughter, humour and contentment.
Britta
Karen and Kevin said…

YIPPEE !!!!! Kevin and I send good wishes for tons of blessings on their union.
Jayview said…
Best wishes to them both. Lovely to see such happiness and the good things that can still happen in the age of COVID.

Growing up a favourite family card game was ChookChook. With our son we all loved SET, a great game at the table after dinner. Do you know them?
Ken said…
Congratulations to my friend W and his partner! So happy for them and all the family!
Greg said…
Yay!!! Huge congratulations!!!!

And we love love Codenames. They have many versions (the picture version is fun, but surprisingly tough). I would also recommend Concept - super scalable for many players of different ages and even generations!
Alison in VT said…
Congratulations to the clearly happy couple and to their parents! There is nothing better than knowing your child is loved and cared for unconditionally by a partner for life. Here's to love in the New Year!
Jennifer said…
Congratulations! And I'm sort of laughing at the way you have to stretch your initials on your blog. I bet you were tempted to tell W that he had to find a partner with a name that started with S. Or C.

I'm glad there is a new family member but I know long-distance will be hard. I wish them all the best!
Tina Laughlin said…
Congrats! So lovely to have a wedding and so much happiness on their faces!! I love Love!
Rusulica said…
Congratulations to the handsome couple and to the parents! This brought tears to my eyes, it's so nice to read such a beautiful announcement in these shitty times (we had an earthquake in Croatia in addition to pandemia and I'm just over it all). I wish newlyweds a lifetime filled with happiness, good health, adventures, and love, love, love.
Sana
Elizabeth L said…
What a Joy! CONGRATULATIONS to your wonderful son and son-in-law. Thanks for sharing this great news. We are so happy for you all. I love the including the parents photo. Glad you could celebrate over distance. My favorite photo is one looking over the shoulder of another. They are just beaming, so much love and happiness.

The Lezarks enjoy Codenames game when playing with cousins/larger family gathering too. Over Zoom, we have played Password (texting the player who will be giving a clue who isn’t with the one holding the secret word) and “the Rank game” where we take turns guessing what order a person is: eg, Caffeine choice: a. Coffee, b.cola, c.decaf, d.tea. It’s fun to stay connected and see each other while apart.
Jamie Crook said…
Congrats to you and your entire family. May they find hope, joy, love, peace and adventure together. Much love, Jamie

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach