Meal Planning - Jan. 18 - 25, 21

How about a slightly more benign post today? This menu goes through next Monday because instead of grocery shopping on Monday afternoon, I will be driving home from our marathon semi-annual neurology appointment which is an hour and half away.

Monday, Jan. 18

Sesame noodles
     This is an actual recipe book in my binder, but the only thing I actually took from it was the sauce, which I definitely used too light a hand with the garlic-chili paste when I made because I found it a bit on the bland side. The garlic-chili sauce was also my own addition. So essentially, we cook some chicken, then cooked some cabbage and grated carrots, then cooked some softened rice noodles, added back in the meat, poured on the sauce and added green onions, then served with some sesame seeds. It was easy and very popular.
Dumplings

Tuesday, Jan. 19

Chili
     Another recipe that I kind of make-up each time I make it. 
Cornbread
     From scratch. I'll probably end up adding fresh corn and diced chilies because I like it that way.

Wednesday, Jan. 20

Stir-fried chicken with lemongrass and chilies
     This is a Vietnamese dish which everyone loves. Since I bought a bunch of lemongrass when I was at the Asian market last week, it seemed a good time to have it. Plus, TM requested it knowing we had lemongrass.
Jasmine rice
Cucumber salad
     We make two kinds, one plain and one spicy, because the family is pretty evenly split down the middle in terms of their love of spicy things.

Thursday, Jan. 21

Fully loaded buttermilk corn cakes
     This is a vegetarian recipe which has black beans, peppers, and corn in it. They are very good.
Chipotle sour cream
     We love this stuff. Pretty much, it is some chopped chipotle chilies in adobo sauce mixed with sour cream. Easy and very tasty. I love it and I don't much care for sour cream.
Salad

Friday, Jan. 22

Coconut braised chicken
     I made this for the first time a month or so ago and it proved very popular. It makes a nice sauce which is why the naan is needed to soak it all up.
Naan
Cooked carrots
     I decided the plate needed a bit of color.

Saturday, Jan. 23

Tortilla soup
     I've made tortilla soups before but this will be the first time I'm using this recipe (from Simple Foods by Alice Waters). I've been really impressed with the recipes from this book I've made, so I'm hoping this will be a good version. It is served with various toppings, but we'll be missing the shredded jicama (which we all like) because the jicama at the store today were slimy with mold. Yuck.
Salad

Sunday, Jan. 24

Pot roast
     It seemed like a good Sunday meal and I have plenty of roasts. I like this one because you puree the vegetables that cook with the meat to make an easy gravy.
Noodles
     I bought some spinach noodles at the store a while back, so we'll have those.
Salad

Monday, Jan. 25

Chicken Paprikash
     This is an easy crockpot meal which everyone loves. I'll be gone all afternoon and I know I won't feel like cooking much when I get back. It is hardly fine dining, but it feeds everyone.
Egg noodles
Salad

Comments

MOlly said…
Can you please post a recipe for the cocunut chicken? It sounds delish and I have naan in my freezer

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach