Meal planning - Dec. 29 - Jan. 4

I skipped posting our menu last week and as a result my children complained that they didn't know what was going to be for dinner. 

Tuesday, Dec. 29

Pot pies
     These are ready made. I needed something easy tonight and everyone thinks frozen pot pies are a treat. Cost-wise, they certainly are. I can make pot pie from scratch for a fraction of the cost.
Canned pears
     Home canned

Wednesday, Dec. 30

Sausage biscuits and gravy
     People have been badgering me to make this for months. With the snow falling outside it finally seems appropriate, rather than in August when the badgering began.
Applesauce
     Home canned

Thursday, Dec. 31 (New Year's Eve)

Grilled cheese sandwiches
     This is just something light in anticipation of a night filled with eating
Tomato soup

And then for the party (which is just our family):
Bacon-wrapped jalepenos
     These are jalepenos we grew in the garden this year. I stuffed them all with cream cheese and put them in the freezer just for our New Year's Eve party. All we'll have to do is wrap bacon around them and broil them.
Spinach dip
     I haven't made this in years and it sounded good.
Artichoke dip
     This is something I make every New Year's Eve
Salsa, chips, and guacamole
     The guacamole was an add-on because avocados were on sale at the store for 49 cents each today.
Cream cheese with cowboy candy
     This was a hit at our tree trimming party and I had another jar of it
Cheese, beef logs, and crackers
     What is left from the gift of food from my mother

Friday, Jan. 1, 2021

New Year's beans and ham
     I've probably told this story before. It is a southern tradition to cook black-eyed peas on New Years so that you have money the entire year. My grandmother, from Louisiana, was very southern. When she moved to Arizona early in the last century, she couldn't find black-eyed peas, so had to make due with pintos. Thus, pinto beans and ham was what my father grew up having and what my mother learned to cook and then served us every New Years. 
Cornbread

Saturday, Jan. 2

Shepherd's pie
     I use a combination of beef and pork instead of lamb. If I had ground lamb in the freezer, I'd use it.
Salad

Sunday, Jan. 3

Chicken broccoli Alfredo
     This is a dish I haven't made in a very long while, plus, broccoli was on sale today.
Garlic bread 
Salad

Monday, Jan. 4

Garlicky white bean soup
     After the last two weeks, I needed something cheap and easy to start back to real life. This is possibly the least expensive meal I make. It's no one's favorite, but they like it well enough to eat it.
Some type of savory biscuit or muffin
     G. received a new baking cookbook for Christmas and I may make something out of it for something different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach