Celebrating TM's 18th birthday

TM turned 18 a few days ago, but we weren't able to celebrate until tonight. For dinner he wanted Bibimbap, a Korean rice bowl dish that he loved having at a little Korean diner around the corner from our old house. I agreed to make it for him though I have extremely little experience with Korean cuisine.

Want to see the final product?


It was very, very good, everyone ate it, and there were very few left-overs. More importantly, TM loved it. What you are seeing in that bowl is jasmine rice with various Korean vegetable dishes on top, some ground beef marinated in a sauce, all topped with a sunny side up egg. The side dishes included sauteed carrots, sauteed mushrooms, a daikon radish quick kimchee, cooked cucumbers (yes, really... and they were good), a cooked spinach dish, and a cooked bean sprout dish. There was also a sweet bibimbap sauce and a spicy one to go on top. Oh, and we sliced up some seaweed, too. 

I should have taken a picture of the kitchen. B. came to celebrate and ended up helping me cook. I couldn't have put it all together without his help. We used literally every bowl in the kitchen making the various toppings, which is saying something because I have a well-stocked kitchen with many bowls. Nothing was terribly difficult or complicated, it was just that there were so many things to make. All of the vegetable dishes were good, and some were extremely easy. I could see making any one of them to go with dinner. It was a good adventure. (I used the Bibimbap recipe at My Korean Kitchen, if you want to try it yourself.)

I still can't quite believe that TM is 18. It doesn't seem that long ago that we were in Vietnam meeting him for the first time, but I guess it was. So, Happy Birthday, TM!! I love you and am proud of you and am so glad you are my son.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach