Fall break museum visit

Today was our day to visit the Museum of Science and Industry, which I had planned back in August. I was curious to see how the Covid measures would effect this museum, having had such a good experience with the Field. So how did it go?

First, the museum was pretty empty, but certainly busier than the Field was. It actually felt like a really light regular school day visit. We've been at MSI when we virtually had the place to ourselves. It was a day in January after a particularly heavy snowstorm. I'm pretty sure we were the only people there other than employees. So while today wasn't busy at MSI, you still had to make an effort to avoid people.

Next, while some of the Field museum exhibits were closed because of being in too close quarters, nearly everything else was open. I think it was more difficult for MSI to figure things out since so much of their exhibits are interactive. They had styluses available for people to take to push buttons with, but many of the exhibits were closed. (People were particularly disappointed that Mindball was closed.) Some of them they had staffed so that the staff person could make it work and everyone could watch, but it's not quite the same thing.

I think the museum is also taking advantage of the lull to do some major overhauls. There were quite a few places which were closed off completely as if they were under construction. I'll be curious to see what emerges. One thing they should be doing is the Hall of Chemistry. We wandered over there, a part of the museum we rarely get to, because of studying chemistry this year. Well, um, let's just say it should probably also be behind some construction plastic. It is quite dated. It is so dated that the large periodic table they have on display is incomplete. And yes, my children noticed.

One good thing was that they provided places inside for people who have brought lunches. It's not in front of the Jolly Ball, where we are used to eating, but it was inside and not busy. I didn't know what to expect, so had warned people we may be all heading back to the van and eating in the parking garage. It was far better to sit at a table.

We also got to see the Omnimax movie about search and rescue dogs which everyone enjoyed. There were just two other groups in the theater, so we very nearly had the huge theater to ourselves. G. now wants a Newfoundland and L. wants a bloodhound. Because we need more dog hair floating across every floor and surface of the house.

TM, D., and J. were able to join us which was a nice treat. Given work and school schedules that doesn't always happen. Because we had TM with us, we have more photographic documentation of the day than we would have if it were up to me.

Waiting for the movie

Y.

TM

L.





And one last photograph in the parking garage as we walked to the van.

Oh, one last thing. If you have ever been a member at MSI, you know that to park in the parking garage you had to take a parking ticket and then have it validated at the member's desk in order to get back out. They have updated their technology, so to get in and out, all you have to do is use the QR code on the back of the membership card. It was very easy, and one less line to have to stand in when we go. I'm all for that.


Comments

Rebecca Gallo said…
Sounds like a good day.

It's a terrible museum for the blind - or hard of hearing for that matter. The exhibit sounds bounce off the hard surfaces and the large spaces and also overlap with other exhibit sounds. And so many of the interactive pieces were in a see-through acrylic box or roped off - mostly the former. I was so surprised. I particularly remember models of the body parts completely inaccessible. At any rate, it didn't work at all. Even the (newish) bathroom sinks had a really long sink with no tactile clue where the heck the water was supposed to come out. I guess they expected the blind visitor to walk along the length of it slowly waiting for a sensor to come on at some point. Can you tell I am sore about our experience!?!?
thecurryseven said…
Rebecca,

I hadn't even thought about what it must be like for the blind. It was frustrating enough with my seeing children! I'm always grateful for my friends who deal with things that are not part of my daily life... VI, Deaf, wheelchair users, etc. ... who help me to see what life is like outside of my bubble. I'm sorry it was so hard for you and your son!

And those sinks?!? I've never liked them, they rarely work like they are supposed to, and it always takes far too long for me to figure them out every single time I'm there!

e

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach