Homeschooling anxiety

Can you stand one more post about homeschooling? The world has turned upside down and suddenly area homeschooling FB groups are seeing thousands of new members join each day. It's unreal. I am also finding it more than a little jarring for a variety of reasons.

The first is that I am realizing that the vast majority of parents who use the public schools truly have no idea what homeschoolers actually do. It is so ironic that the moment when homeschooling is suddenly seen as a viable educational option for the majority that I have never felt so misunderstood in my life.

I know we are a bit more relaxed (okay, maybe a lot more relaxed) than a lot of homeschoolers, but it utterly baffles me that it seems that so many parents have never stopped to give any thought as to what education and learning actually are and what they entail. I may have to scream out loud (as opposed to inside my head) if I read "state standards" or "accredited" or "I have to do everything the school would do because they are going back the second they can and I don't want them to be behind."

I want to scream because by sticking to a standardized education created by bureaucrats in government they are missing out on possibly the most amazing opportunity ever. That would be to let their children actually learn and explore and think about things that interest them. This is a chance to give a child a year to dig deeply into something they are passionate about. This is a chance to experience what learning freedom looks like outside of tests and grades and standardization. I actually had a parent reply to a comment I made about how we learn say something along the lines of, "That sounds wonderful. I wish we could, but since he will be going back to school, I have to stick with workbooks so he doesn't get behind."

It makes me want to cry with frustration and for the missed opportunity. There is not time to deschool all of these parents; to help them see the potential of learning outside the box. I'm afraid that so many are going to miss out on something wonderful.

The second major concern of mine is that suddenly homeschooling is in the spotlight. When public schools start to lose a significant number of students to homeschooling, they start to pay attention. As someone who values highly the educational freedom we have, particularly in our state, I really don't want more attention than necessary. There have already been reports of schools giving parents incorrect information along with tacit threats about how one goes about homeschooling. This is extremely troubling to me, as it doesn't take much to encourage legislators to try to enact more restrictive homeschooling rules. 

So, everyone, if you are in Illinois, here's the scoop on the legal situation. The ONLY thing required by law is that you formally withdraw your child from the public school they were enrolled in. You do not have to register with the state. In fact, do NOT register with the state. Please, please, please, do not register with the state even if the school gives you some song and dance about it being required. They are either ill informed or outright lying. If you live in another state, please check with your local homeschooling groups as far as the legalities for your state. Do not rely on the local school or the state board of education for accurate information. Historically it has been shown that these entities do not actually share accurate information. Before you do anything please check.

Finally, if you are a temporary homeschooler, welcome to the ranks. I hope you discover that learning with your child can be an amazing and awesome adventure. Take some risks and don't spent too much time worrying about whether or not you are doing exactly what the schools are doing. That's kind of the point, and everyone will be fine. But also know, that while you are only here for the short term, there are many of us for whom homeschooling is our first choice. Whatever you do this year can have significant impacts on homeschooling in general and those of us who will still be homeschooling long after life has gone back to normal. Please be careful with your choices, I beg you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach