I love the word clearance

One of the things I love most is when I'm grocery shopping and come across a spectacular deal. Of course, you have to be aware of the usual prices of things in order to know it's a spectacular deal, but I pay attention to the usual prices. The bulk items in one of the grocery stores I frequently visit had been off limits since everything shut down. Instead of people being able to bag their own bulk items, they were pre-bagged. (An aside, I don't mind safety measures, but sometimes there are things that just don't make sense. This is one of them. I can rifle around the fresh produce all I like, but I can't pull a lever and fill a bag from a chute? I still don't get it.)

Evidently, this has not been popular, probably because the whole point of the bulk section is being able to choose how much of an item you are buying. I surmise this because there were quite a few things in the bulk area which were being clearanced. I suspect it is because they were hitting their sell-by date. I first noticed the golden raisins, having wandered down the dried fruit section to see if anything was on sale. (Dried fruit is something I only buy on sale because it is pricey.) The sticker said the golden raisins were ~$0.59/pound. I actually read it more than once thinking it must be a typo or I wasn't understanding the sign or something because that is a price that you never see. It seemed legit, so I grabbed a few bags. My children are fruit bats and Y. in particular loves raisins. It was a fantastic stock-up price. Then I noticed the regular black seedless raisins were also the same price, so I grabbed some of the those. At this point I thought it might be worth while to tour the entire bulk food section to see if there were any more clearance signs.

I'm glad I did. Arborio rice for fifty cents a pound? Well, if they insist, and I put several pounds of rice in my cart. (Arborio rice, used for risotto, can be extremely expensive.) There were also chocolate covered almonds, seasoned roasted peanuts, and, for a treat because they were also around fifty cents a pound, a couple of bags of gummy bears. It was quite a haul.

I figure I bought around fifteen pounds of various items that normally sell for five to ten times what I paid. At the checkout, where the register tallies how much you saved on sale items as opposed to the full price, I learned I had saved $67.

That's what I call a good grocery shopping trip.

Comments

Csmithfamily09 said…
Yes! Same thing at my local Kroger. I got tons of seasoned nuts, dried fruit, and candies. I made individual bags of trail mix that should last us the summer.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach