I live on a perpetual roller coaster

And that's just my regular life, not even taking into account all the virus-related craziness. I'm actually kind of looking forward to long, slow days together with my children. Maybe tomorrow will be my day. Today certainly wasn't.

It started off well enough. Everyone was ready to sit down to do school at the appointed hour. We did math (some frustration but no tears). We did grammar (I'm going to have to work on some hands-on learning activities to help H. figure out the difference between nouns and verbs... they are currently making no sense). We did history. R. even did some really good work and was pleasant and cooperative. She had such a good morning, I even took a couple of pictures of a small success and posted them on Facebook.



We ate lunch and I was able to finish a book I was reading. (Thank goodness I finished it. It was one of the dullest books I've ever read. I kept thinking it would get better and by the time I figured out it wasn't I was too far along to just stop reading.) I started to transplant some seedlings and set up the second table with grow lights.

So far, so good. Just the kind of day I enjoy.

I went to vote and asked people to make tea and start the dishwasher while I was gone, which they did. Voting didn't take long and the tea had just finished steeping when I got back. R. got settled at the table with her tea and I started reading. We read a few pages when I hear A. calling from the kitchen that R. was being difficult. It took me a moment to realize that R. wasn't at the table but had headed into the kitchen. I stop reading and head to the kitchen to bring her back from the table. But...

all of sudden the bottom drops out of R.'s world and she is full-blown pyschotic. I had to restrain her because she was just out of her mind. A. thought is was the worst that she had seen. I gave her (R.) a dose of the rescue med every five minutes or so. Usually it works immediately, but not this time. After four pills, I had A. call J. to call him home because I had no idea how long she would be like that, and right now just doesn't seem to be a good time to take a non-critical child to the ER (and the very last thing we need is for her to get something and have her drug tolerance even more compromised.) Thankfully, by the time J. got home I was able to move R. over to the couch where I kept her on my lap. J. finished dinner and by the time dinner was ready R. was much more rational.

It was totally out of the blue. We'd had a good day so far and she was thinking well. She didn't seem anxious, but instead was happy and pleasant. What concerns me most is not having any trigger for this at all. We have an appointment with her psychiatrist on Saturday morning. I'm hoping she has some insight. It feels like a fruitless hope, though, because R. has baffled every single doctor that she has seen so far.

J. is reading to her in her bed as I write this. She is calm and sleepy. All of the rescue meds probably have a lot to do with that. I hope they work all night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach