Grocery stores are for amateurs

Remember I mentioned that there was a food wholesaler in Chicago who was allowing the public to place orders? Well, I made my list and sent it in yesterday, and today it was ready for pick-up. I had little trouble getting there; it was on the west side between Garfield Park and UIC, and I only had to ask one person for directions to find the front of the warehouse.

The guy who brought out my order was extremely nice. I now have his card and he is more than happy for me to continue to place orders with him. I think I'm good for a few months at least, though. Because it was kind of a lot of food I brought home.


Here is what it all looked like in the back of my van, and below is what it all looked like loaded into the kitchen. There's flour (unbleached and semolina), a bunch of things in #10 cans, quite a bit of cheese of various kinds, sun-dried tomatoes (5 pounds!), some fresh produce, twenty pounds of Italian sausage, and various other things. I figure it was at least 400 pounds of food.


The oranges my new friend threw in for free, thinking we could use them. He also gave us 50 pounds of rice, some plastic gloves, and a roll of toilet paper.


I spent a good chunk of the afternoon trying to figure out how I was going to make all of this fit into the freezers and pantry. Except for one item, I managed to do it. Of course, there is not a bit of room to spare. We'll be good when the zombies attack. I'm kidding. I think. I mean, it's hard to tell what is around the next corner these days. No, really, I'm kidding. The prices were exceptionally good, and we will use all the food. I'm pretty excited about having a place to make use of wholesale prices.

All of this food came in an awful lot of cardboard boxes. It was time to turn the raw materials over to K. who loves nothing better to the scavenge the recycling bin for building materials. In less than an hour, he had whipped this space ship together.


It's kind of large.


And by this evening I had noticed that more recycling material had been scavenged so that the ship could have some engines.


There's one more thing I want to show you. Not only was I given oranges, rice, plastic gloves, and toilet paper, we were also given four boxes of high end desserts... cakes, cheesecake, brownies... it's a lot. Here is what just one box looked like.


Everyone was extremely excited for dinner and dessert this evening. We opened two of the boxes and it turns out those little container held multiple desserts apiece. There was a lot of dessert. It was quite the treat for everyone to get to choose whichever yummy dessert they desired. It was fun.


But, we were also reminded that we are not entirely dessert people. Most people could only get through part of their chosen dessert, and are thinking that maybe we should take a day off from dessert tomorrow. I may be in the odd position of insisting someone eat something of it because I need to buy more milk and currently its refrigerator space is taken up by cake. This is not a problem I usually have. We are incredibly thankful for the wholesaler's generosity.

Comments

Kelly said…
That's amazing! Wonderful that you'll be able to continue to buy from there, and that's a lot of free stuff he tossed in!

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach