Amazing

Everyone has really been loving the art class they are taking at our co-op, and have all been making some really nice projects. But I am particularly thrilled by what H. has been learning and creating. Here are some of her most recent projects.



As you can tell, dolphins are the current theme, though she was working on a sketch of jellyfish as I was writing this. The top was painted and the bottom done with colored pencils.

I look at these and can't help thinking back to the skills H. had when she first came home nearly eight years ago. Even though she was 9, she had the pencil skills of a significantly younger person. As far as creating art, I remember that coming up with something out of her own head was an impossibility, though if she had someone she could copy, she could get along. What a difference between then and now. It's pretty amazing.

What I want to make clear, though, is that this isn't something J. and I did. All responsibility goes to God and H. What is amazing is how love and safety can allow a brain to heal and to grow. J. and I have given H. love and safety.

Now, I know this is a hobby horse of mine, but until I stop hearing the 'you're so amazing' comments, I will continue to reiterate that we are not so amazing. Offering a child love and safety is not really something that should be amazing to anyone. Love and safety should be a basic human right; it is certainly a basic human need.

I actually think that what is most amazing is getting to have a front row seat on a small miracle right in my own home.




Comments

Amy said…
Tell H I think her artwork is lovely. I really like dolphins too.
Carla said…
What a great post about God's grace to us and our need to practice patience with our kid's rate of development.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach