About those nativity dolls

A reader saw a picture of our nativity dolls and asked about them. Since I am fresh out of ideas to write about, which you probably guessed by there being no blog post yesterday, I will happily clutch at any little straw that comes my way.

First, so you know what I'm talking about. These dolls.


It's not a great picture, but there are three kings, a camel, Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus, and a donkey. I started making them, oh, about 25 years ago when M. was a baby. The pattern is CreaNativity, and though it is out of print, it is still fairly easy to find copies of it for sale on ebay.

I am still missing sheep, shepherds, and an angel. I have the patterns; I have just never made them. Every year when we unpack them, I think, "Huh, someday I should finish these." And then, because it's December and there are always 2000 things that seem more important, they don't get made. Yes, I could make them in July, but that would require me thinking about them in July. Clearly that hasn't happened.

And then there is the other piece of the puzzle. The little girls are now ten. There is no one now who love them and plays with them and carries them around. It has been several years since we routinely lost baby Jesus because someone had carted him off somewhere. Now the dolls all sit nicely where they are put. I used to become a little frustrated that the dolls couldn't stay nicely in their tableau under the tree, but now I miss the perpetual surprise of coming across one in odd areas of the house.

Maybe at some point R. will show interest in actually playing with them, and I'll finally finish them up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach