Lifetime warranty

A couple of weeks ago, D. was grinding some corn for me so we had some cornmeal. I was in another room when I hear a dreadful sound, a shout from D., and the grain mill being turned off. This couldn't be good. From the burning smell in the kitchen, it would seem that the motor burned out on the grain mill.

Life without a grain mill is challenging if you are used to having homemade bread made from the pounds of wheat berries you have on hand. It is difficult to turn your wheat berries into flour without some way to grind it. I've always thought that investing in a hand mill to grind the wheat would be a good idea, you know, just in case of the zombie apocalypse. They're aren't even that expensive... under $100... it's just that the need never quite seemed pressing enough to actually order it. I kind of wish I had, because then we would have some way to grind wheat while we are without the electric mill.

All is not lost, though. This is actually the second time (or maybe the third, I lose track) that we have burned a motor out on our grain mill. Yes, we do use it that much. We have a Nutrimill, just the basic model. The nifty thing about Nutrimill is that the motors have a lifetime warranty. Now, I don't know about you, but I always take that lifetime warranty-thing with a grain of salt. Either it isn't actually true or the item has to fall into some pretty narrow parameters in order to qualify. I was pretty ecstatic the first time the motor was replaced for just the cost of shipping it to them.

Today I finally had a moment that was free when I thought about dealing with the grain mill. I looked up the phone number and called. When the phone was answered there was no voice mail, but an actual person who transferred me to repairs, where I spoke with a real person. When I was asked how old my grain mill is, I had to think a moment. The best I could come up with was over eleven years old, and probably closer to twelve or thirteen. I was a little worried that I would be told that it had passed it's window for free repairs, but that wasn't the case. Instead, I was given an address to mail it to with instructions as to what to include in the box. They'll take a look at it, repair it, and ship it back to me.

I don't know about you, but I find that pretty astonishing in this day and age. So as soon as I find a box, it will be boxed up and shipped out for repair. Of course, in the interim, we are stuck eating store bought bread. We are a little spoiled. D. may be the only person who is relieved as he is the current bread baker, so is off the hook for baking until the grain mill returns.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach