Friday bullets, September 27, 2019

Something like last Tuesday takes it out of you, but I've found it's a little delayed. Yesterday I was done in, hence no post. Again. Today has been better. I hope we are all back on an even keep, at least for a while.

  • I continue to work to deal with the eggs. My new very large ice cube trays have been fantastic for freezing even large goose eggs. I have been keeping a running cycle of eggs going through the freezer. They look kind of cool when they come out of the ice cube trays.

They don't really look much like eggs, do they? I'm thinking we'll be glad for these this winter when every bird decides to stop laying.
  • I also pickled some eggs. This is a bigger experiment, and I have no idea if people will like them. The recipe I followed suggested adding beets to the eggs so that the eggs become even more pink, plus you have pickled beets. L. adores pickled beets, so I know at least those will get eaten.
  • Under the heading of, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," R. did a color by number with me today successfully. Even a few months ago I would have never dreamed of her being able to do one. Today, she had been working very well, so I decided to give it a shot, and was amazed. The brain is a weird and wonderful thing.
  • My mom is slowly improving. They were having difficulty managing her potassium levels, and that had us pretty worried for a while, but I think they are sorting it out. Prayers for her continued healing are very much appreciated.
  • I managed to do some sewing last weekend. I realized I hadn't really worked in my studio since Easter. I think that is about the time that life seemed to become increasingly complicated with R., which did not leave a lot of room for anything else. I was able to finish a few projects, including a shirt for Y. which she loves. Next time she has it on, I'll try to remember to take a picture.
  • D. made quiches for dinner on Wednesday night for us. A continuing topic of conversation around here is "ways to use up eggs," and someone suggested we should have quiche for dinner. Well, have you ever made quiche? It's fiddly and time consuming. I don't much care to make it, and especially not for 13 people. D., though, decided that he would make quiche, which I was happy to let him do. I told him he could figure out what he needed, and I'd buy the supplies. He made four quiches, with homemade whole wheat crust, each a different type. I can't remember exactly what they were, but there was ham and green onion, spinach and bacon, sauteed onion and tomato, I think, plus one with all the leftovers. They were really quite excellent. Afterwards, despite their success, D. wasn't quite sure that he was interested in making them again.
  • G. and L. have been reading the Redwall series. L. particularly is enamored of it, so when she learned there was a Redwall Cookbook, she asked me to get it from the library. It seems to be everything she hoped it would be. On Sunday we will be making a soup from it for dinner, and tomorrow morning she plans on making us all scones for breakfast from it. The recipe only makes 8 scones, so she is going to need to triple it. L. seemed pretty sure that she could do that.
  • I should also add that G., L., and Y. have all discovered that they can read and understand recipes. There has been quite a bit of baking going on as a result. I have to say they are doing pretty well, especially considering the total lack of adult supervision.
  • I have a new article published. Feel free to read and share. Adoption Travel and How to Prepare
  • And given that I'm always touting my own writing here, it might not make a lot of sense when I say that I am pretty terrible at self-promotion, but it's true. It makes me squirm. So know that I am squirming... a lot... when I tell you that the documentary that a friend made about us is in it's final stages. She has posted a new clip from it on the film's Facebook page: Hayden and Her Family.  (I hope that link takes you there, I'm never very sure about linking to Facebook pages. And I apologize to those of you who are not on Facebook. I can't find a link to it elsewhere.) 
  • I don't know about you, but I am very glad tomorrow is Saturday. Even better, it's a Saturday with nothing planned. I am very much looking forward to that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach