Barn chores

I saw a reference to a study the other day which declared that women who own horses live, on average, 15 years longer than women without horses. Now, I didn't actually see the study, though the information about it purported that it was a controlled, double-blind study. Who knows? But, I'm going with it.

And that's not just because I own horses and I think it sounds good. It's also because I really do think horses are just that good for you. Riding is certainly good exercise and can be very regulating. Horses are calming and good for your mental health. But the thing that I think is key here, is the work that horses require.

I've been thinking about this for some time now. While I am not always excited to head out to the barn first thing in the morning to clean stalls, I am finding it to be incredibly good for me. It gets me out of the house and into the outdoors first thing in the morning. On -40 degree mornings, this can be a bit of a shock, but even then I knew I felt better having been outside than if I had stayed inside the whole time. I love the walk to the barn. It's a beautiful view and helps to wake me up. Being greeted by three horses eager for their breakfast with happy nickers is also a fun morning event.

Once the horses are fed and turned out, it's time to muck the stalls. While I wouldn't call it fun, there is something about physical exertion first thing in the morning. Plus, when G. is out with me, we have some lovely conversations as we work together. That is precious time.

The same is true for the evening. Horses need to be brought in and fed. Later the barn needs to be closed up and horses checked on. It all equals many trips back and forth to the barn, walking outside, carrying things, shoveling interspersed with visits with the horses and the hugs and pats that go with them.

I have found it to provide a framework for the day in much the same way our tea time book reading does. Barn chores are one of those things that must be done at about the same time each day. There is no deciding you just don't feel like it; that you would rather just stay sitting in your chair doing whatever. Barn chores provide forced movement outside often coupled with quite a bit of physical labor. I am finding I am in better shape now than I have been in quite a few years. That's not a bad thing.

So see? There actually might be something to that study, though it did cross my mind that it might also be a helpful piece of pseudo-science created to provide more leverage for the buying of more horses.

(Photo credit goes to M.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach