B+ Books

I have a good friend who is as avid a reader as I am, and we tend to enjoy the same books, so we will often recommend books to each other. This is great! I've found some really amazing books thanks to her recommendations.

But when we both are having trouble finding books we absolutely adore, it's bad because our usual mode of finding books is also have a bit of a drought. As we were discussing this today, she used the term, "B+ books", and I kind of love it. I feel as though I've read an awful lot of B+ books this year.

You know, these are the books that have quite a bit going for them, you like them well enough to finish them, and really love the idea of them, but something is off. It could be the ending (it's so often the ending for me that does it) or a tone that is slightly off or a misstep in the plot. It's just that one thing that causes you to rein back your enthusiasm. I always feel a little badly because there is often enough in the book that I enjoy, but yet cannot quite bring myself to whole heartedly recommend it.

I keep a running list of titles of books I want to read, either because someone recommended them or because I came across them somewhere, and have been slowly working my way through them. I've read quite a bit of fiction recently and pretty much all of it has fallen in the B+ category. It makes me start wanting to reread my guaranteed A+ books, just to have the experience of being utterly consumed with a book without hesitation. The trouble is, I can't reread books too soon or I remember too much of them and it is not quite enjoyable. A minimum of ten years between readings seems necessary.

Usually I am the one recommending books here, but now it is your chance. I'm looking for your personal A+ books. I need more titles and would love for them to be books I don't feel the need to stop reading a quarter of the way through. (I've stopped reading so many more books the past couple of years than I used to. Who has time to waste on a bad book?) Tell me the title and why you love it. My reading friend and I both thank you.

(Oh, and let's stick with fiction. I don't usually have any difficulty finding non-fiction that I find interesting. Unless it is non-fiction that reads like fiction, that's OK.)

Comments

Unknown said…
Non-fiction that reads like fiction- Radium Girls and Bad Blood.
Fiction- Marilynne Robinson's Gilead and Home. Gilead won the Pulitzer a while back, but I liked Home even more.
Aimee said…
No one asked.

I can't remember the author. I love this book because it challenges your thinking on how you REALLY perceive other races.

Also, a young adult but The Secret Sky. An Afghan love story between 2 different trip es. Very eye opening on the culture
Anonymous said…
I recently read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah about a small village in France during the Nazi invasion and the experiences of 2 sisters.
Also enjoyed The Gown by Jennifer Robson. The backdrop of the story is the upcoming wedding of Princess Elizabeth. The focus of the book is on life in England after the war. The main characters are embroiderers in a fashion house that made the royal wedding gown. Both books were truly enjoyable to read. The Gown also provides an extensive bibliography if you are interested in learning more about topics referenced in the story.
Jennifer said…
This month I've read:

1. A Better Man by Louise Penny
2. A Secret History by Donna Tartt
3. This is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel
4. Washington Black by Esi Edugyan

Liked them all!
Leslie said…
I think you had recommended Elizabeth Peters at one point, which makes me wonder if you have tried Alan Bradley's series that starts with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. The protagonist is a whip smart 11 year old girl who reminds me a bit of what Sherlock Holmes might have been like as a child.

And speaking of Sherlock Holmes, have you read the series by Laurie King that starts with The Beekeeper's Apprentice?

I've recently read through Sarah Addison Allen's books, which might be a bit too much mystical for you, but I enjoyed them, especially Garden Spells and Lost Lake. They are what I would consider beach reads. There isn't a deep plot I have to fight to keep track of, and there are times I want something light.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach