Another made up recipe

For various reasons yesterday, I ended up scrapping my dinner plans, taking whatever ingredients I had on hand, and making up a meal. It turned out quite well, if I do say so myself. So I'm going to share it with you. Really, I'm sharing it here so that when I want to make it again, I'll remember what I did, but you benefit, too.

Chicken and bacon over pasta

*Boneless chicken thighs (I used 6 thighs)
*2 pkg of bacon (though this was kind of gilding the lily, and one would have been just fine), cut into pieces (I use scissors to do this; it's easier)
*2 onions, sliced
*Swiss chard, washed, sliced, and the center stem removed (I'm not sure how much. I had a bag of sauteed chard in the freezer that I had uncovered and decided to use)
*Garlic, maybe 1 or 2 teaspoons or maybe tablespoons (I'm generous with garlic), minced (once again, this was in the kale, so I'm guessing how much was in it)
*2 cups of chicken broth or bouillon
*1 cup of red wine (okay, I'm guessing here again, I just poured in a bunch)
*Parmesan or Romano cheese

*Papperdelle egg pasta or wide egg noodles, as much as you need for you family

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large, oven-proof pot (I used a cast iron Dutch oven), cook your bacon until done. Remove and place on a paper towel on a plate. Pour off as much bacon fat as you want... you need to cook onions and brown chicken in it. Saute the onions (and chard and garlic to the onions as well if using fresh) until they begin to soften. Once they are cooking, add your chicken and brown it a bit on all sides. When chicken is browned and onions are pretty soft, add in the chicken broth and wine. If you happen to have frozen chard, this is when to add it in. Put the bacon back into the pot, add a little salt and pepper to taste, put the lid on, and stick it in the oven. I think I had mine in for ~40 minutes.

Boil your water for your noodles and cook them according to the package directions while the chicken bakes.

When the noodles are ready, stir the chicken up... it should break up nicely at this point, and serve on the noodles. Add grated Parmesan or Romano to the top.

Notes to mainly myself... adding a can of crushed tomatoes and some oregano would be good.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach