Stepping back in history

Over the course of my life I have read a lot of British fiction. A lot. I have also always loved British history, choosing to do projects in grade school on castles, taking all the elective English history classes I could in College, and reading history for fun as an adult. It probably all equals thousands and thousands of pages when put together and that's not to mention the movies, music, and television shows that are added on top of those pages. Yet I had never been here.

I have now spent two very full days in London. In a way, it is like meeting a long time pen pal in person. In one sense you know all about that person, yet when you meet, you realize that on another level you don't know them at all. London is so very much what I thought it would be yet so very different all at the same time, and I love it.

Much of it is the history. How can you not love a city full of all the different layers of history that London is? So much of the historical periods that I love are here, in person. Sometimes you find them just by turning a corner. I grew up in a place that is very new all things considered. Yes, there are the ruins of past native civilizations such as the Hohokam, which are very old. I've been there. I find them fascinating. Other aspects of history, though, are pretty much 1800's and on, and even things that old are pretty rare. When we would take family vacations farther east, I would love anywhere that was old. I loved seeing history.

Seeing the Tower of London today was fantastic. I actually walked around in a building that was built at the time of William the Conqueror. How cool is that? We stayed there most of the day because there was so much to see; so many parts of history that I have read about that happened right there. It makes me want to go back and reread so much because now I can accurately picture what I'm reading about.

As you probably guessed, two days, despite making use of every second, has clearly not been enough time for me here in London, but I am so thankful that I have had these two days.

J. and D. at the Sherlock Holmes statue near the Baker St. tube stop.

It's a World Heritage Site; my second to visit.

The tower where the princes were murdered.

Me looking up at those same windows during the Yeoman Warder tour.

Henry VIII's armor

Part of William the Conqueror's chapel. It was one of my very favorite parts of the castle.

Tower Bridge over the Thames. Do you see that sky? Sunny and warm all day.

St. Paul's Cathedral. We couldn't go in because they closed early and cancelled Evensong for a private event.

Tomorrow we catch an early train and head to Amsterdam. P.'s ship arrives on Friday!

Comments

Sienna K said…
Oh, man! We are missing you guys by a couple of days! Hope all is well and the Danes treat you well!! -sienna

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain