Reader

I'm at that point in the Christmas preparations where I start to wonder if it will all get done. After a major 8 hour sewing session yesterday, I'm a little bit closer to being done, but the jury is still out as to if I can actually do it. The children have seen a lot of a closed studio door recently.

I'm not sure if L. has noticed, though. She has become a true reader, and that is what she has been doing. Every time I look at her, she is curled up in a chair with her nose in a book. This child has inherited more than a few of my personality quirks... single-mindedness when she has a project in mind is one that comes to mind. I'm also realizing that she has also inherited my ability to hyper-focus on what she is doing.

This is kind of my super power. If I am engaged in something, I can totally tune out what is going on around me. This is a very helpful skill when living in a house with many people. My children have all learned that unless I have actually looked at them and responded coherently, I have probably not heard a word they have said. The older ones have actually learned to ask follow-up questions to double check that I was switched over to them.

Yesterday after church, it was the usual chaos. There were many conversations, noises as people were getting lunch, D. was playing the cello, someone else was probably listening to music, and it was all happening in the same few rooms. It was not quiet. Yet, there was L. curled up in a chair, oblivious to all going on around here as she read her book.

Finally she is able to fill her own need for stories herself. For years she was insatiable in her need for people to read stories to her. It was what helped her keep calm, it was what made her happy, and I often traveled with a book or two for emergencies when we were out and about. While I'll miss sharing so many picture book with her, I'm thrilled that she can read to herself. Life is a lot quieter and calmer.
_____
Liturgy post... A Christmas to do list

Comments

Donna said…
Sounds like she may follow in your writing footsteps as well. What a gift!

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach