Friday bullets, Oct. 26, 2018

It's still sort of Friday, and might even still be Friday when I finish writing this.

  • I got some better pictures of Emmy today. Want to see? (Of course you do! Who doesn't want to see pictures of a pretty horse?)

  • Yesterday, I happened to notice R. sitting at the piano, playing the keys. I realized that I have never really seen her do this before. Other children routinely sit down and fiddle, but not R. This shows a level of self-volition and experimentation that we haven't really seen before. It was kind of exciting.
  • I never updated you on the great fermentation experiments. I'm kind of 1 for 3 so far, with another I need to check. The sauerkraut actually turned out well. I've been enjoying having some with my lunch over the past week or two, and some of the younger people like it as well. The older ones have yet to try it, since having the watched the process, they are still leery about me killing them. I've eaten quite a bit of it, and am still well, but they still raise their eyebrows. The Thai basil I tried fermenting was a bust. It is fuzzy. I will not try eating that. I think I let it go too long before I checked it. The first kombucha was a failure since I let it get too cold. I traded some eggs for a new SCOBY, but I desperately need to check on the new batch tomorrow. I hope I haven't let that one go too long as well. I am clearly not a natural at this fermentation-thing. I may just have to stick to cabbage.
  •  K. is quite the master Lego builder. Actually, he is just an amazing builder of all sort of blocks and things. The other day he comes up to me with this picture, asking if I thought he could build it.

I said yes, because having seen him build other things, I was pretty sure he could. The next thing I know, he is showing me this.


The legs and tail are even jointed so that he waggles back and forth. He has amazing visual-spacial skills, that boy.
  • It turns out we still have 20 chickens. One of the hens did not get eaten. We do not know who did. But when you look in the coop when they are all tucked in, there are 20 chickens there.
  • We tried doing weaving as our craft today, after looking at pictures of Bedouin weaving. (We're in Jordan right now, remember.) Well, let's just say that you will not be seeing any amazing weaving projects from our family any time soon. It took longer for M. and I to make the cardboard looms than it did for the children to weave a few rows, and then ask if they could be done. Or, in the case of L., to weave less than a row, throw it down in frustration, and stomp away. We tried... or at least most of us did.
  • No appliances broke this week.
  • Olive and Aster love playing together. Kenzie is happy to let them play together, as long as they don't try to involve him. But both Olive and Kenzie love the round pen, especially the deflated playground ball that lives inside it. Picking up the deflated ball and tossing it around is possibly the most fun either of them have ever had. At least that is what it looks like when they are playing. With the deflated ball, by themselves... not together. 
  • M. is trying something new to seal the roof of the trailer. 
  • When I talked to the builder this week, it seems they are delayed by about three weeks for the barn. This does not make me happy. At. All. 
And on that happy note, I'm going to head off to bed. Oh, but first, I'm going to link to my most recent article in case you missed it. (Thanks to everyone who has shared it!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain