Here I can be normal

Earlier this week, I made a new friend. She is the friend of a friend and is also parenting an atypical child. We had a nice visit, chatting and comparing notes. Afterwards she wrote me an email, thanking me and said, "For two hours, I felt like a normal person." And I understood what she meant. We didn't have to explain our lives to each other. We could share frustrations without fear of someone silently pointing out we volunteered for this job. We didn't feel as though we had to live up to "wonderful" and, in fact, commiserated about how exactly un-wonderful we each were. I enjoyed our time as much as she did.

It got me to thinking. We who are currently in the trenches parenting our special children need the support of each other. It's not always easy to find time to get that support or to even know the people who can offer that support. Thus an idea was born.

If you are in the Chicago/North Suburban Chicago area and are an adoptive parent of a child or children with an alphabet soup of letters after their name (both visible and invisible needs), I want to invite you to something. Announcing:

Here I Can Be Normal
Adoptive parents of special needs children support group

First Friday of each month, beginning April 1, 2016
7:30 pm
at my home (message or email me to RSVP and for directions)
I will provide coffee and tea

Ground rules:
1. The phrases, "You're so wonderful," "I don't know how you do it," and "You have your hands full," are not allowed.
2. Each family's school choice is to be supported. Our children are each different and their schooling needs will be different as well.
3. Discussion will be from a connected parenting viewpoint. Our children have already endured enough hurt, parenting from a consequence-based style will not help.

Please share with anyone you think might be interested.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain