I did a little sewing

A couple of weeks back, when I was (finally) putting away the fabric that friends had given me, I found a very large piece of very heavy fleece. It was too heavy to make clothing with, and the color was not what you might call inspiring.


Really, it just looked like a big, odd-shaped blanket. Hmmm...blanket. We could use more blankets. But would the material wash? Bedding around here really needs to be able to survive the washing machine. Figuring it couldn't hurt to try, into the wash it went. And it came out beautifully.

So, I measured and discovered I could get two throw sized blankets out of it. These are a particularly useful size because we often add throws on top of beds for really cold days. Plus, people can curl up in them to read books or watch a movie.

But, they were kind of dull. Useful, but dull. So I thought I would bind the edges. I really didn't have to because fleece doesn't ravel, but I thought it would look nice. I looked in my fabric stash and discovered two pieces of fabric I had found at the thrift store and turned them into yards and yards of binding.


And then I edged the blankets in them. I like how they turned out. I really, really like how they turned out. The fabric binding brightens up how they look and the prints make me happy when I look at them. Lots of other people really liked them, too, and there was much clamoring for a chance to curl up in one. Even though it was around 70 degrees. I'm pretty sure they will be well used.


Ironing yards of fabric to turn into binding and then sewing loooong straight seams isn't terribly complicated and it gave me some time to think. Would it be far-fetched to say that these blankets can represent all that I really love about homemaking?


First, I love being able to provide the things we need for our home. And we did need blankets. With three more people in beds this winter than last, our bedding was running a little low. These blankets fill a much needed hole. Next, I was able to fill that need with the best use of our resources. The fabric was passed on to us and I was able to use it in the way that made the most sense. Since the binding fabric came from the thrift store, I possibly spent a total of 50 cents on the whole project.


Third, at its core, I believe that homemaking is a creative endeavor. I loved finding fabrics that would work, figuring out how best to carry out my plan, and then actually making them. God is a God of creativity and I believe that one of the ways we are created in His image is that we are also creative beings.

And isn't there just something about an appealing, warm blanket that says home and safety to you? Being wrapped up in a blanket is comforting. Think of all the images you've seen of a person wrapped in a blanket. That blanket is a tangible object of someone else's love and care... a mother tucking in a child, a firefighter offering a blanket to a victim of a fire, a rescue worker caring for someone who had been lost. They are a powerful symbol. One that we look at and immediately associate with warmth and care.

I love that I have the opportunities to create these types of memories for my family. There are very few memories associated with these blankets right now, but I hope that someday, when my children are grown, the sight of them will trigger a series of memories... of being tucked in and cared for, of quiet moments reading while embraced of its warmth, of fun times together watching a movie together. So not only was I creating something useful, I was creating a tangible object by which my family can remember my love for them.

Comments

Susanna said…
Elizabeth, thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't think of any other words. THANK YOU!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach