Need a break from the intensity

I can't keep up this level of intensity, so I'm doing a fun and frivolous post.  And what's more fun and frivolous than cookies?  These are the cookies we've been eating here for the past couple of days.  A. and TM decided they really needed to bake cookies on Tuesday and these are the ones they made.  I don't know what their official name is, but we call them Doreen Cabianca's Sugar Cookies around here.  She was the mother of one of my best friends in grade school.  I believe the story goes that I had them at my friend's house and raved so much about them that my mother asked for the recipe.  Oh, and one important note if you're going to make them.  DO NOT think that you can substitute all butter instead of the butter and shortening combination.  Because if you do, you will not have cookies. Instead, you will end up with a baking sheet of flour-y melted butter that you have to throw out.  Trust me, I know.

Doreen Cabianca's Sugar Cookies

1/2 C butter
1/2 C shortening
1/2 C sugar
!/2 C powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 C flour (I have used all white, a combination of white and whole wheat, and all whole wheat... all work)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter, shortening, and sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  Sift dry ingredients.  (I just mix them up with a fork.)  Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mix to blend.

Chill dough (I always skip this), then shape into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet.  (The instructions say to lightly grease the baking sheet, but I never do this either.)  Dip bottom of water glass in a bowl of sugar and press balls flat.  (But don't make them super thin.  Mine probably end up being about a 1/2 inch thick.)  Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach