Writing on the wall

We have a white board in our upstairs hallway on which I write things that I come across that I want my children to take to heart. All of my children who can read are compulsive readers. If they see words, they will read them, over and over, no matter what they are...cracker ingredients, store receipts, classifieds...you get the idea. So I try to make use of it when I can.

I know I've mentioned how much we're enjoying reading Little Britches at lunch time. This was in the chapter which we read today and I will be writing on the white board this afternoon:

"There are only two kinds of men in this world: Honest men and dishonest men. There are black men and white men and yellow men and red men, but nothing counts except whether they're honest men or dishonest men.

Some men work almost entirely with their brains; some almost entirely with their hands; though most of us have to use both. But we all fall into one of the two classes -- honest and dishonest.

Any man who says the world owes him a living is dishonest. The same God that made you and me made this earth. And He planned it so that it would yield every single thing that the people on it need. But He was careful to plan it so that it would only yield its wealth in exchange for the labor of man. Any man who tries to share in that wealth without contributing the work of his brain or his hands is dishonest."

Comments

Dustine said…
Love that book. This year we've read the first few and now we're waiting for the next one (from our library) so we can read it. We've read the books now up through when Ralph is thirteen. They are so good. Reading time is a very fun part of homeschooling.
Unknown said…
Little Britches is one of my favorite books! Thanks for the reminder.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach