Serial obsession

I came across this phrase a while ago, and found that it pretty perfectly describes how I learn. I will find one thing overwhelmingly interesting, and spend all my free time reading about it or trying to do it or generally learning about it. After a while, once I have sated my curiosity or reached a functional level of ability, I will set that thing aside and move on to something else. Usually, I will circle back and revisit that thing, but at a different level. Even as a child I would do this, with non-school subjects.

I find many of my children function the same way. The past two days, the current obsession has been hand sewing. L. (who so often is the instigator of the next obsession) decided that BlueBlue, her precious blue teddy bear needed lunch to take to school with him. So she got out the felt and thread and started creating felt food.

Here is BlueBlue with his entire lunch.

He has a glass of milk.

Cookies with candy on top, salad with tomatoes and dressing, and a couple of sandwiches

There is an ice cream cone for dessert and a blue plate to set it all on.

The sandwiches are seal (because BlueBlue is a polar bear), but they have lettuce and tomato on them as well.

As so usually happens, the tide of obsession has swept nearly everyone else up in it as well. K. made a light saber (no surprise there) that I didn't get a picture of. And H. made these... without any help and her own design.

They are little sleeping bags

for a little felt doll.

I made the doll before we brought H. home, and I am so happy to see her finally really playing with it six years later. (I can't stop myself from adding for newer adoptive parents out there... time people, our children need a lot of time to make up for all of their losses. Lots and lots of time. Some things just cannot be rushed.)

You should see the studio. It's as though a felt cyclone has passed through.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach