Stove raising

Yes, I know that it is barns that are usually raised, but in this case, it really was a stove. Do you remember a week or so ago, when I drove into Chicago for an orthodontist visit, and bought a stove? Well, in my mind, this seemed like a simple thing. You take out one stove, wheel in the other stove, connect it all up, and you're back to not ruining rice.

Things are never so simple in real life.

It seems that my new-to-me stove runs on a 220 line. The problem is, my old stove does not, so you can't just unplug one, and plug in another. So the new-to-me stove was sitting for the past week or so on the back porch, and I was still making crummy rice.

Then our good friend, the P Family Dad (who conveniently happens to also be an electrician), came up with a great plan. He would collect our people who were returning from their mission trip, drive them out to us (thus saving us a trip into Evanston), and run a 220 line to the kitchen so we could hook up the new stove.

It took him and J. about six hours to accomplish this feat. Things are always trickier in real life than they are on paper. It involved a lot of figuring out and J. spending some significant time down in our crawl space.


Fun, huh?

In the end we have bright and shiny new electrical boxes. I know, no one is really interested in looking at electrical boxes, but these took so many hours of work, that I feel as though everyone should appreciate them.



Even more exciting is this.


It looks like a real piece of kitchen equipment, doesn't it? Big oven, burners that have enough flame to actually cook something... and there are five of them! See..


Continuous metal burner grates (I was missing those), too.


And the oven is electric, not gas, which is always nice. I don't think you can see it in the picture above, but the oven even has a convection function. Not bad for a second hand stove, huh?

It is really all due to the P Family Dad and his generosity of time and energy. Thank you! It was a win for the children, too, as he brought many of his with him (plus his two puppies), so everyone played all afternoon with friends they don't get to see quite so often now.

I can now go back to planning stir-fries as part of our meals. Everyone will love that.

(Oh, and because there was no stove or oven for the majority of the day, and to treat our friends, we ordered pizza for dinner. I suppose I could count the tomatoes on the pizzas, but that would probably be stretching a bit.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I used to help my brother with fixing, building
around our family home in Oregon. I surely
can appreciate seeing a new, well put in
electrical box. Its a feeling of security
to not have to worry about an electrical
malfunction.
I also had to crawl under my sister's house
one time to move a tv cable to another room
up above..your crawlspace is much nicer than
the one I was in!...
What would we do without friends...imagine helping
for 6 hours and bringing his kids and puppies, too.
Thanks for sharing, glad you can make decent rice now. :o)
mary m age 70
vancouver,wa.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain