Indian fry bread and Navajo tacos

Since my mother had sent me a new Indian fry bread recipe to try, I decided to take a deep breath and give it another shot.  I think people must have difficulties writing out fry bread recipes, because this one had a significant typo as well.  (Mom, I'm pretty sure the amount of shortening is off... I ended up adding significantly more.)  But with my past disaster in mind, I decided to go by looks instead of slavishly following the recipe.  And... we have success!  They turned out just like I was imagining.  It also turned out to be one of those wonderful dishes that fills everyone up.  I made about 24 pieces of fry bread, but ended up with 6 leftover, and that was with everyone eating their fill.

I have a feeling that I am not the only one who was having difficulty with fry bread recipes, based on the number of hits the blog received from people searching for it.  They must have been terribly disappointed to find yet one more recipe that wouldn't work.  So, here it is... an accurate recipe for:

Indian Fry Bread  (makes ~2 dozen)

6 C flour
6 tsp baking powder
1 C shortening
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C warm water

Oil for frying

Measure dry ingredients into a deep mixing bowl.  Add the shortening and cut in until the dough is small pea-sized pieces.  Add the water and mix until the dough is smooth.  Knead for 5 minutes and then let rest for 30 minutes.  Form dough into golf ball size balls and then flatten until they are about a1/4 inch thick.  Heat oil in a pan that will hold 1 inch of oil and heat.  Fry on both sides until they are a light golden brown.  You can then eat them with honey or powdered sugar, but we used them as a base for Navajo tacos.

Navajo Tacos
(Ample topping for 24)

1 lb ground beef
2-8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 TBSP (or more) chili powder
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp crushed dried hot chilies
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
4 C cooked pinto beans (or 2 cans if using cans)

Brown the ground beef until cooked through.  Drain.  Add tomato sauce through salt.  Mix well and simmer until the sauce beings to thicken, ~10 minutes.  Add the beans and heat through. Serve on top of Indian fry bread and top with grated cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and salsa.

Comments

Maggie said…
I'm glad it worked but I want some!
Amy said…
Thanks for sharing this! I tried Indian Fry Bread at a festival once, and I've always wanted ot know how to make it.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach