Pretty darn normal

Every so often I feel the need to point out that I am not some super human person. It's not that I am under any illusion as to my less-than-perfectness, but after enough comments from others to that effect, I know it's time for another reality check. Because the truth is, I'm far from perfect. Here's a snippet of life from the past day or so, which is far more representative of life than whatever glossy magazine version people might have deluded themselves with.

  • We started school late yesterday morning because I sat in bed too long drinking my coffee and replying to things on my phone. We started so late that we had to skip a couple of things that we usually do.
  • I declared yesterday Moaning Monday at one point while trying to do school, because of the outrageous amount of moaning which was going on. One child crumpled up the dot-to-dot I had given in lieu of the regular math lesson because it was perceived to be too hard. Other children decided to leave the table in a snit over being asked to do school work, and yet another child had evidently lost any power of critical thinking, and was particularly clueless. I may have escaped to the bathroom at one point.
  • I didn't get a chance to eat lunch until 2 pm.
  • Bills were finally paid, which had been put off for far too long, so had to eat a couple of late fees. It took me longer than it should have because I had let the receipts pile up too high, and had to sort the checkbook out first before the actual bill paying could begin.
  • I finally folded several loads of laundry which had been sitting in laundry baskets getting more and more wrinkled.
  • The house is not clean. I'm glad the children are not smaller, as I might be fearful the traveling dust bunnies might engulf them.
  • Yesterday was the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival. We did nothing because I never got on the ball enough to organize anything. We did do Chinese take-out for dinner, but that was as much a result of not wanting to cook dinner after having sat at my desk for hours as it was the holiday. The holiday was a convenient excuse. This is the first year that we have not had moon cakes for the event. I truly dislike living so far from my usual grocery stores.
  • I blew up at a trio of children at bedtime the other night (something I try very hard not to do because it's not the way I want to send them off to sleep), because the fort they had built in their room was so vast that I couldn't get to the window I needed to open. They did get the fort taken down the next day.
  • I told a child that no, she could not listen to Oliver! even though she really wanted to. It's all they have been listening to, and I just couldn't take any more.
  • I have told several children to stop playing the piano because it was too hard to work with other people.
  • The cloak for G. is still sitting cut out next to my sewing machine. I just keep forgetting to sit down and sew it together. Poor girl has been waiting for months.
  • I've let my weekly Bible study homework go all week again, so will need to do five lessons all at once... and I'm the one supposed to be leading the discussion this week.
  • I'm really bad at keeping up with people, and have a whole list of people I should email or message to see how they are and ask when we can get together. Am I the only one who thinks about doing something like this, then something distracts me and I discover that several weeks went by since I last had that thought?
  • I have apples rotting on my back porch. The are most definitely NOT applesauce.
I could go on, but you get the idea. None of these things is horrible, or actually that out of the ordinary. And that's my point. Nobody is actually a Super Mom, no matter what edited version of themselves they present to the world. Everybody has their quirks and foibles, their good days and bad days. Everybody. We are all far more alike than we think. 

And now, I'm going to take my not-so-amazing self off to bed, where I will probably stay up far too late reading, which means it will be that much more difficult to wake up, and the whole circus will start again for another day.

Comments

Line said…
J'adore votre sens de l'humour!
Amitiés de Québec.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach