Life is just a bowl of cherries

Guess what we did yesterday? In my continuing efforts to can all the fruit, we went cherry picking. I adore cherries; they truly are my favorite fruit.

The cherry orchard is a couple of hours away, so we first had to have our picnic before the grueling work of cherry picking.


Then it was on to the cherries.







We picked 12 gallons. Want to see what 12 gallons of cherries looks like?


After you pick them, you take them to the wash stand to wash them. After they are clean, you then have them pitted. I really love the fact that we don't have to pit 12 gallons of cherries!







Guess what I will be doing over the next few days? I have the cherry jam and cherry pie filling recipes already laid out and ready to go. Is it odd that there is a small part of me that worries we didn't pick enough?

Comments

Carla said…
When I saw the title, I thought, "She must mean sour cherries!" We went last week and picked sweet, dark cherries (I came home with only 20 pounds) and the entire season was done in about 4 days. It's just been that hot here in Michigan.

This post kind of reminds me of 2 years ago when we had a couple of extra pickers than usual and ended up picking 96 pounds! 96 pounds!! The orchard we go to does not have a pitter, so all those were done by hand (except that most of these were eaten by the masses fresh, so not nearly as much pitting as you might think.)
Anonymous said…
I LOVE cherry pie. I don't think cherries are my favorite fruit, oddly enough. BUT, any baked good with cherries in it is a win for me. Enjoy your bounty!

-Roxana

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain