Let's do some bullet points

I suppose what I should really do is some thoughtful New Year's Eve post, but honestly? I don't have it in me. 2017 has been a year of huge ups and huge downs, and everything in between. It will take a while to process it all. I'd much rather focus on the things right in front of me right now, anyway.

  • The Build-A-Thing animals are settling in, and everyone remains thrilled with their choice. Don't be alarmed, but L.'s bear seems to have caught a cold on the ride home yesterday, and has been coughing a bit, but L. has provided quite a bit of care, and he seems to be on the mend. He also fits in 18" doll clothes, so I'm afraid the American Girls have some missing clothes at this point. 
  • Y. announced to me this morning that yesterday was the best day ever, and she still can't believe that she has her favorite Pokemon stuffed animal. After a pause, she then added, "Sometimes I wonder if it was a dream, and I worry that someone will take her away from me." There was much assurance that no one would ever take her toy away, but boy, was that a punch in the gut.
  • The one thing that G. really, really wanted was a set of twin dolls she saw at a store. Both J. and I spent several weeks asking her if that was really what she wanted, but she was adamant. Jenny and Jane (G.'s chosen names) arrived as requested on Christmas morning, and G. has been diligently caring for them ever since. Throughout the day, I will receive Jenny and Jane updates. They sleep well at night, and also take good naps. She is rather smitten with them.
  • We finished The Return of the Twelves the other day at teatime, and needed a new book to read. There was great clamoring for another Swallows and Amazons book, so we will be starting Winter Holiday which is next in line. I'm excited, because it is both appropriate to the season, and one of my favorite Swallows and Amazons books. You should read it.(I also love The Return of the Twelves. You should read this, too.) 
  • While we were at Build-A-Thing yesterday morning, the older people (A., P., TM, and D.) all went over to the forest preserve because the small pond there was looking completely iced over. They took brooms and shovels to clear it of snow. Sadly, after some clearing and playing, the ice was not as thick as they had hoped and began to crack. Don't get your tinsel in a tangle, the pond is small, shallow, and not too far from home. The only danger anyone was in was a cold walk home to get out of wet clothes and dry off. We are due to continue to have extremely cold weather for the next week, so I imagine that they will head back later on to check on the ice.
  • The phrase, "Don't Get Your Tinsel in a Tangle" is what was on the girls' Christmas pj's this year. I like it. I may choose to use it a lot.
  • I believe that Christmas will be coming down tomorrow. I love Christmas. I love decorating for Christmas. I love it up until the end of Boxing Day, and then I'm done. I would love to start the new year with a clean, tidy, and organized house. 
  • B. gave the family the game Quartz for Christmas. I hadn't heard of it, but it has proven very popular, especially among the youngest four. I think what they like about it is that there is a significant amount of chance to the game, and so they pretty much are all on equal footing. Plus, they love getting to draw for shiny 'precious stones' as a part of the mining process. What they love about it is exactly what drives me a bit batty. I do not like the high degree of chance, and I especially dislike the process of drawing for the stones. This could be because I never draw the one I am hoping for. Anyway, it is a game they have played without my help a lot over the past week. I call it a win for the mid-grade school crowd.
  • It looks as though we will be having a family game night tomorrow for New Year's Eve. This will be the first time in the past 17+ years that we won't be celebrating with our good friends the P. Family. P. Family Mom and I are a little (OK, more than a little) dejected about it. We are just too far apart for one family to drive home at the end of the evening on a night where no one wants to drive for too long. Have I mentioned that I don't like change?
  • I have spent far too long sitting and pulling burrs, large and small, off of socks, tights, scarves, gloves, mittens, hats, etc. It's lovely having a forest preserve out our back door, but there are also quite a few burr plants in the forest preserve (and on our property). It would seem that every burr in the the immediate area has attached themselves to one part of my children or another. Thankfully, the dogs' coats are too short and do not collect burrs. 
  • We will be starting school again next week. I suppose I should do some planning so I have all the supplies we need. I think I'm still in denial.
Have a Happy New Year! I'll see you in 2018!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach