Children, dogs, and carpet

As you know we have a couple of dogs, and more than a couple of children, and an entire second floor of brand new carpet. I will admit to the combination making me a wee bit paranoid. Especially when, first thing in the morning, you hear your dog making a certain noise. A noise which says ugly, horrible things are soon going be spewed upon your new carpet. A noise which causes you to leap out of bed and across the room at a rate that would make a fire fighter proud.

This is how I was awoken yesterday morning. I hear the sound. I leap into action, dragging the dog into the bathroom and onto the easily cleanable laminate flooring. I think I have made it all in time only to look behind me and see that the spewing was actually happening as I was dragging. It's not pretty. In fact it's a two foot long swath of yellow ugliness on my new carpet. Bad words were not said because a small child happened to be in the room at the time. I know I need to do something about it soon, or all hope of ever getting it clean will be lost.

I send the small child down for supplies. In this case, Dawn dish soap, paper towels, a bowl, and a plastic bag. A month or so ago, there was a little incident with dripping blood, and the water and Dawn combination took it out. I had no idea if it would work on my current ugliness, but I thought I'd give it a try. I am happy to report that I think it will work. I can still see where it was, but after I vacuum and go over it one more time, it should be pretty unnoticeable.

It worked well enough that I decided to try it on the two large spots on the stairs which had been nagging at me. I have not idea what they were from. (ie I didn't know whether to blame an animal or a child.) But there these two hideous dark spots were, causing me agonies every time I saw them. What was I thinking putting down carpet that wasn't dark brown? Why did I think I could keep it clean? Why did we spend the money on it? Etc., etc.

Well, look. Here is what my little concoction did.

First, take a look at that ugly stain. Two steps were like that. Bleh.


Then after I rubbed and rubbed with my mixture. I think I will sleep better at night now.


For those who want the details, I put a good couple of tablespoons in a smallish bowl and filled it with water, stirring it around, I pretty heavily soaked a paper towel, and then just rubbed on the spot(s) until it was clean. The steps were pretty wet for quite a while. Other possibly pertinent details... the carpet is 100% nylon, and we put in a waterproof backing under the mat. But so far, this magic-like mixture has removed blood, dog vomit, and that dark mystery stain that I cannot even begin to imagine what it was.

My next goal? Figure out how to get Sharpie out of carpet. Yes, Sharpie. And after only a couple of weeks after it was installed. I'm pretty sure I cannot blame any of the animals for that.


Comments

Donna said…
http://spotremoval.coit.com/how-to-get-marker-out-of-carpet

This whole site may be helpful at some point. ;)
Amy said…
Usually you can remove sharpie from plastic items by going over it with a dry erase marker and then wiping it off. That might work on nylon too although I would carefully test a small spot.
Dori said…
When I have Sharpie or ball point pen ink on fabric, some rubbing alcohol always tends to get it out. Sometimes you need to let it sit for a minute and then you can scrub it out. I haven't tried this on carpet, but it's worth a try! Good luck.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain