Friday bullets, August 18, 2017

We get closer and closer to September, and I still have no done homeschool planning. I may take a page out of a friend's book, and consider September 1 to be August 32. I can do that, right? Make summer another month or two longer?


  • It's been a week of socializing. We've made some new friends which we are very excited about, who don't live very far from us. It certainly helps this seem more like home. But for this introvert, three days in a row of meeting people is a lot. I'm tired. The grocery store trip I need to make today sounds kind of relaxing. 
  • P. and I headed over to our local community college the other day to get her enrolled. She has decided she wants to try one class at first, and has settled on French 1. Her reasons for taking French are not because she has always wanted to learn it, or because I can help her. No, it's because they don't offer Romanian, and French is the closest she could get to it. (P. likes learning less main stream languages. For a while she was working on Dutch.)
  • We have a new lawn mower. No, we didn't plan on purchasing a lawn mower at this point in time, but the tractor we inherited with the house officially kicked the bucket a week ago. It has always been a bit finicky, and was not pleasant to drive, but when the blades stopped turning, we knew its time had come. On Tuesday, a bright and shiny new zero turn mower arrived at our house. It's probably just as well. It is far easier to use than the old tractor, and will make mowing the lawn a lot quicker and easier. Plus, it can spin in circles.
  • I miss my old kitchen.
  • We visited some new friends yesterday and they have chickens. Some of my children now think that getting chickens should not only be put on the to-do list, but should be bumped right up to the top. And a certain older child, who really, really loves eggs, finally made the connection between having chickens and eggs appearing for the gathering. I'm not entirely sure she had ever really put together the live animal chicken and the eggs that came out of the refrigerator before.
  • G. sits down next to me the other day, and says in a sad and pathetic voice, "I miss doing school," and then sighs heavily. She is not the only one to feel this way. I see this as being a problem in my hopes to extend summer another month or two. 
  • Puppy Olive is now 11 weeks old and stands taller than Nefertiti. This does not thrill Nefertiti, let me tell you. I think all of Olive's growth is going to her feet and legs. Her feet are nearly as big as Kenzie's now, and her front legs are like sturdy young tree trunks. A. is doing a great job with her, and it would seem that Olive is very close to having the whole house training-thing down. Or Olive is doing a great job with A., and nearly has her trained. One or the other.
  • To catch you up on other animals, Q. is doing just fine. He particularly loves it when one of the children scratches him under the chin. He is also continuing to do his part in eating the Japanese beetle population. 
  • The wean off of R.'s seizure medicine is still continuing, and still no seizures. I still cannot tell if the reduction of medicine is making any difference cognitively, though. She does seem to be in a particularly shrieky phase at the moment. I have no idea if the two things are related.
  • We still have boxes of IKEA furniture which has yet to be put together.
  • G. likes to go around and correct older siblings' grammar. She is often correct. D. does the same thing, only in his head. 
  • I'm willing to eat crow and admit having a smart phone does make life a lot easier. But auto correct... it drives me wild. The thing that makes me want to smash it into the sidewalk is its tendency to helpfully capitalize every single contraction regardless of where the contraction falls in the sentence. So sentences end up looking like this: Why Don't you pick up some milk since We're out. I Can't get to the store right now because We're in the middle of something. Clearly whoever did the programming for auto correct missed the day in school when contractions were explained. Or capitalization. Or both.
  • Yes, my children have inherited their grammar correction habit from me, though I'm quite sure J. is as much responsible as I am.
And with that I shall leave you. Don't forget to head to my studio Facebook page and click the little 'like' button.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain