Further adventures in therapy

The highlights from Y.'s speech therapy evaluation yesterday.

"I spoke with Y.'s physical therapist, and," the speech therapist paused and looked at me with a concerned expression, "she has cerebral palsy."

There is a lull in the conversation as a try to decide whether or not she thinks she is actually imparting new information. She then continues, "And it seems to only affect her from the hips down."

There is another pause as I process this whole conversation. I am completely speechless with indecision about what my appropriate response should be. The options were too many, and I still don't know if she thought I actually didn't know this.

The short story is that Y. qualifies for speech therapy. (As if I had any question about that.) I also know that if we get this particular therapist, we will be waiting for speech to start a while longer in order to get someone whom both Y. and I can work with.

Let's just say that Y. was not smitten with this particular person, and spent the entire hour letting her know in every imaginable way possible exactly how she felt. I have a bad suspicion that the therapist interpreted her uncooperativeness as inability. I also didn't really appreciate the vocabulary lesson about what the 'diaphragm' is, especially when I used that word (correctly) in my parental worksheet detailing what I believed was the problem. Turns out I was right, even before the not-so-helpful vocabulary lesson.

After the summing up at the end of the session, the therapist then turns to me and asks, with an eager and hopeful expression on her face, "Did you learn anything new or surprising?"
My patience, worn thin by the uncooperative child and the clueless adult, caused me to reply with a terse, "No."

I don't believe I've ever seen Y. move quite as fast as she did to leave the office.

Comments

grtlyblesd said…
I feel your pain. Every year, we have to take Hannah in to make sure she's still "disabled". You know, just in case she regenerated a couple of limbs like a starfish since the previous year. Today was that visit. After determining that Hannah is homeschooled, which the therapist WROTE DOWN, she then asked, "So do you have any problems at school, like carrying your tray in the cafeteria?" I may have actually used hand gestures as I broke down the word HOME-SCHOOLED for her.
thecurryseven said…
Shecki,

That is both hilarious and painfully pathetic all at the same time.

e
Donna said…
I think I may have had a few colorful comments about what I "learned" at that session. I think therapist training needs to include a few more social work and interpersonal communication classes. Kudos to you for your restraint.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach