Getting closer

On my new neat and tidy schedule (that I still have to print out), it says we start school on Sept. 7. (Note that is the day after the day after Labor Day. We celebrate our educational freedom around here by going to a museum on the day after Labor Day and enjoy having the place to ourselves.) Anyway, if we are really going to start school, I still have a little more work to do. 

Today I spent some time copying and printing bird poems and then printing out pictures of the birds the poems are about. (Of course, I laminated all of it.) I saw something like this at the children's museum in Pentwater, MI a couple of weeks ago and decided to steal it. L. has been my helper and has been quite smitten with the bird pictures and poems. They are now hanging on the schoolroom walls, because I find passive learning (as in putting things on the walls that people read despite themsevles... or books in the bathroom) to be quite effective. It's actually how we work on sight words, adding them to a list on the wall as we come across them.

So here's what I have so far. Our display table now now has birds on it. (See that huge book? It's called The Bird in Art and it is in full color and gorgeous. I bought it 'used' for a song and it came still in it's plastic.) Behind it you can see some of the poems.


And some more...



Here is another wall. They're kind of spread out.


One last one. They look so nice and professional hanging up on the wall in their laminated shininess.


Of course, here is what I still need to sort and put away.


I also have a couple more learning games to make, including one with Venn diagrams which I'm pretty excited about. I'll show it to you when it's done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain