Postcard collection

For over ten years we have been collecting postcards. It started when I participated in a postcard exchange with a group of people from around the country. We each sent the group a postcard from our state. It was a lot of fun and everyone eagerly anticipated the arrival of "real" mail and then taping the postcard on our large map to see where the state was from which the card was sent.

Since then, we have slowly added to our collection. I try to pickup postcards from where ever we've been and friends and family will sometimes send or bring us postcards as well. I realized I had never shared this with you when our most recent acquisitions arrived recently... one sent from Denmark and two which came from Japan (and were attached to a book... a double gift). I keep them all (alphabetized) on a metal ring and leave them about for people to look at, which they do.

I've been recently thinking that there must be some sort of fun geography game I could come up with that would use our postcards. I haven't quite worked out the details, but it will more than likely involved the use of my laminator. It would be easy enough to create a blank map and find the state or country on it, but I also want it to be self-correcting and that is where the hang-up in ideas seems to be. To compound the trickiness, I don't want to just put the answer on the back because many of them have messages and I don't want to cover those up. But that's OK, since I actually kind of love problems like this. When (if?) I ever figure out this one, I'll share it with you.

Comments

Jayview said…
A fellow postcard lover - wonderful! I collect free Avant cards in cafes, and make postcards from my own photos or order others' via Redbubbke website. Aren't they a great way to explore things? As well as beautifully tangible reminders in absence? I've used them in teaching, supervision, therapy, research and organisational consulting. Choosing the postcards that draw you and suggest (any particular subject) from an array of many and reflecting on and describing your choices seems to be an unthreatening way into all sorts of topics.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach