I'm not sure I can... I'm pretty done with the whole thing. Yesterday saw me driving H. back up to the plastic surgeon's office. I didn't like how she was looking and she was feeling horrible. If it was another child, one who had not just had surgery and had large foreign objects implanted in her head, I would have just tucked her in and let her sleep. But she had had surgery and foreign objects in her head and really, truly, the last thing I want to have happen is to have any of that get infected and land us in the hospital. Or worse, have to have the infected expanders removed. Ugh! I can't even imagine.
The good news? No infection! I was so relieved. There was a lot of fluid that had collected around one of the ports (fairly common) and that was what was making the port particularly squishy and painful. The nurses drained the area (5ml of fluid.... imagine having that much fluid collected at your temple) and it should start to feel better soon. The fluid showed no sign of any infection, either. We have another antibiotic that she'll be on for another 10 days just to be safe and let her rest for the rest of the week. Next week we'll start the expansion process. I feel so thankful that I padded the time between surgeries by a week. I don't know why, I just did. This means that we are not behind schedule and do not risk having to postpone the next surgery.
H. was wiped out by our little outing yesterday and slept the rest of the afternoon. She woke up long enough to eat dinner (which she was able to keep down) and slept the whole night waking up an hour after everyone else. She seems much perkier this morning, but I'm still going to keep her quiet.
I'm done with everyone being sick. I declare everyone will be all well tomorrow and we can get on with life. That's how it works, right?