First day of school

As is our tradition, we started school by not starting school. The area museums are blissfully empty the first week after Labor Day, so we choose one and head out. Yesterday's pick was The Museum of Science and Industry, one of our favorites. And to make it a festive occasion we invited the P Family and H-S Family to join us.

We spent the morning in the body section. There were endless turns at the human hamster wheel (at least that's what we call it, I don't know what the official name is) and then when everyone had overdone it on that, they moved onto mind ball. Would it surprise you that some of my children are not good at relaxing their brains? The readout of their brainwaves shot straight up and off the display. The attendant at the game was a little astonished. I wasn't. At all. I decided I really needed one (or two) of these at home. First, they all played with it for nearly an hour. Just the entertainment value alone would be worth it, but think of the possibilities for practicing calming your brain! Think of the calmness and peace which would pervade my house! Just think... and J. did a little research for me. The cost of this peace and entertainment? Oh, about $20,000. (And no, I didn't add an extra '0'.)

We spent over 6 hours there and it was one of the few visits that the children could all do the activities as many times as they wanted. It was relaxed and enjoyable and everyone had a good time. I love empty museums!

Some pictures from the day.

We had lunch at the Jolly Ball.

A couple H-S children and D.

The Japanese student we've been hosting for a couple of days and D.

TM

H., who didn't want her picture taken.

Fun at the wave machine.

Our sheer numbers guaranteed that nearly all the volunteers picked were from our group.

P6 and K., who continue to be best buddies.

The whole group (minus the mothers aiming cameras). This was after we went through the Silver Streak train at the end of the day. There was a screen in front of them. They exited the train, saw the screen and seats and all sat down. When the mothers looked at the screen after we took the picture and everyone got up, there was nothing on it. We decided that said something. 

Now, to give credit where credit is due. I kvetch a lot about family policies at museums and their ridiculous tendency to arbitrate exactly how many children constitute a family. Well, The Museum of Science and Industry has spectacular family memberships. I can always bring all my children plus a guest. Depending on which level, they give me tickets to things for everyone. No one has ever commented or questioned the number in my party. It is fantastic. If you can afford it, I would encourage you to buy a membership just to support the museum. 

Today, we hit the books. No, I have no idea how it will go. Can we lay bets on how many children at how many different times burst into tears? I'll start... two children, one time each. I hope I'm wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach